Sunday, November 14, 2010

Pirate Ship cake

I know I've mentioned this before, but either way, my friend Lindsay and I do an exchange of services. She takes our family photos and puts them on a cd for me and I make her son's birthday cake. It's his birthday this weekend and they requested a pirate cake. After searching on cakecentral.com, I decided to do a pirate ship cake. There were some really awesome looking pirate ships, but most of them were done in fondant. I really didn't want to do fondant because it tastes gross and it's for a child on his birthday, but I didn't know how else I'd be able to do this and have it look nice. I bought a new decorating tip that worked wonderfully on creating the wood planks the size I wanted and my butter cream frosted pirate cake turned out really well. The only thing not butter cream were the candies and I used several: tootsie rolls(w/toothpicks through the middle to stick into the cake as the railing), rolos for gold, whoppers as canons, black licorice railing, Hershey bar plank and pretzel windows. I used 2 sheet cakes to carve the shape and the new tip I bought for the planks was 2B.
I had a really enjoyable time working on the cake. I usually do. It's a nice creative outlet for me. And it was especially nice in the evening once the kids went to bed because I was able to work on it uninterrupted and I was able to enlist Scott's help. He put most of the black 'nails' on the wood planks. It was fun working on a project together. I think I've mentioned this many, many times before but I am so grateful for my wonderful husband.

I took some pictures of the cake making process. It's always so fun for me to see a cake in it's beginning stages and then, within hours, have it transform into something beautiful.






I got a couple more pictures from Lindsay after the party: