Thursday, November 25, 2010

Pumpkin Pie Cake Toppers and Caramel Apple Pie


The past three Thanksgivings we've hosted at our home. This year we're having Thanksgiving with my uncle and his family. We made a couple of desserts to bring. Scott made his traditional and oh-so-yummy caramel apple pie. I'm not a big fan of pie, but I always eat this one. He does such a good job. The crust is perfect, not too thin and so soft and chewy, and I love the taste of the apples mixed with caramel and 'cinnamony' spices. Top a warm slice with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and it almost feels sinful :). Here's a picture I snapped just before we stuck it in the oven. My kids don't love pie either so I thought we'd make another dessert they'd enjoy. I still wanted to do something sort of Thanksgiving-ish and put the question to the kids. Elisabeth asked me to make a cake that looked like a turkey. I found some pictures of cakes like this online and showed them to Elisabeth. Her response: 'Ew'. While I had her at my side with the computer in hand, I showed her a picture of these cute little fondant pumpkin pie cupcake toppers. It was a winner.

I made butter pecan flavored cupcakes and covered them in butter cream frosting. I made marshmallow fondant, divided it into three, colored two of the three and then Charlie helped me roll each color into 27 little balls (that's how many cup cakes we made). I shaped the filling, shaped the crust and whipped topping and then stuck them together and put them on our cupcakes. We thought they turned out pretty cute. And the home made marshmallow fondant didn't taste too bad. Though I'd probably feel differently if the entire cupcake was covered in it.

4 comments:

The Horne's said...

So do you eat the little pumpkin pie slice? Or is it just for looks?

Elisa said...

Heidi, you can eat it. Elisabeth really likes them. Though not everyone does. They're made from marshmallow and powdered sugar.

carrie r. said...

Those cupcakes are super cute! You are so creative Elisa.

Margot said...

The toppers are darling!