Friday, November 19, 2010

Re-fried Beans

I make a pot of my dad's beans almost every week. We love them! We use them in tacos, on the side with enchiladas, in quesadillas or sometimes I won't refry all the beans from the pot and I'll put them in a soup.


Re-fried Beans

3 c pinto beans

2 Tbsp salt

¼ c- ½ c vegetable oil

Rinse beans. Put beans in a large pot and fill pot with water about ¾ full. Bring to a boil, turn down to medium heat and cook 2-3 hours until beans are soft. Add salt during the last ten minutes.

Once beans are done cooking, warm up a thin layer of oil on medium heat in a frying pan. Once warm, add beans a spoonful at a time and mash. You'll have to add some of the water from the pot so you won't have dry beans.

4 comments:

Shayla Taylor said...

Seriously was just about to e-mail you and ask for this recipe. :)

The Horne's said...

These sound pretty healthy - why do they have such a bad reputation for not being healthy?

Elisa said...

If you just ate the cooked pinto beans, they'd be a lot healthier for you. When you fry something in oil, it makes it a lot less healthy. But these are still alright. And perhaps some recipes are worse? Depending on how much oil one uses and the kind of oil. I've heard of some people who refry them without using any oil, just the water from the pot of beans. I haven't tried that yet, but that would be a good option too.

April said...

I assume olive oil would work? Thanks for posting this. Elliot will go bonkers if I make re-fried beans at home.