Tuesday, November 16, 2010

laundry

Laundry, at our house, is like this endless pit. Now that we do laundry for six people, I've decided to make some changes. I used to get all the laundry gathered in the house on a certain day and then I'd separate it into whites, darks and pastels. That's all fine and dandy, but folding laundry and getting it into piles, by child, took forever. And I would get frustrated that Scott and I spent all this time folding laundry only to have the child carelessly rummage through their drawers the following day causing all the clothes to come unfolded again. What's the point of even folding, right?

About a month or two ago we came up with a solution that we've liked. Instead of taking everyones laundry, mixing it together and separating it by color, instead I wait until the laundry basket in someone's room is totally full, then I throw their whole load into the laundry, wash it, dry it and then put it back in the laundry basket and stick it on their bed, which is how they'd know it's clean. If that child doesn't want wrinkly clothes, they can fold them and put them away, or they can just put them in the right drawers. Elisabeth and Annabelle share a room so we do their laundry together. Since Annabelle is only 2, we still fold her clothes and put them away for her, and same with Jane. But Charlie and Elisabeth take care of their clothes themselves and have taken on this responsibility pretty well. Scott and I will still help Elisabeth and Charles if they ask, but many times they do it on their own.

1 comment:

The Horne's said...

Great idea!
I think I'll do that with my husband! ;-) I wash his clothes and fold them nicely and they end up in a scattered pile next to his bed that he picks and chooses from each morning, lol!