Elisabeth taught herself how to french braid. For years I've been french braiding her hair after she showers so that it's nice and crimpy, and last year I believe, I suggested she learn how to french braid it herself because I won't always be with her after she showers :). She would get frustrated in the beginning because it didn't look very good, but I reminded her that since she was doing it at night and wearing it to bed, it didn't really matter how it looked, and to just keep on practicing and notice how it looked after and decide on some changes she wanted to make for next time. She kept at it and I'm happy to say that she's been french braiding her hair well for the past couple of months! And now she's learning to do other fun hairstyles like dutch braids and different hairtsyles on her sisters etc. Practice makes permanent!
We still get together with our old neighbors and good friends the Wilcox's and Hansen's about once a month. We switch off hosting and this past month we went to the Hansen's and got to try out their new court which we played pickle ball on, and tested out their new fire pit.August was Annabelle's date night month but we didn't get to her until September 4th. We had Cafe Rio for dinner then went over to play some pickleball at the new Bluffdale park and then we grabbed dessert at Kneaders (they do half price on their baked goods after 8pm on Saturday night). Normally we don't do all of that on one date night but since we had a free meal at Cafe Rio and the treats were half price we decided it was okay for this time :).
And September is Jane's date night month. She decided to have breakfast at Cubbys. We had never eaten breakfast at Cubby's before so we looked up the menu before hand and found something that each of us would like and it was very yummy. Jane had french toast, Scott got biscuits and gravy and I had a quinoa and avocado plate.
During the last couple of weeks that our pool was still open, Nora finally learned to swim across the width of the swimming pool! Good work Nora!
About once a month, Nora and I will eat lunch at Cafe Rio. We choose to go on dates when I either get something for free through their app, or when it's double points day (also through the app; points add up til you get $10 off). I'm sure going to miss this next year when she's in school all day.
BYU football has started up again! Scott and I came home from a temple date night one Saturday night and found this! The whole group in BYU blue ready and waiting to watch the game that night. I wish they could start a little earlier than 8pm because we are an 'early to bed, early to rise' family so it's brutal staying up so late.
Elisabeth had some sort of spirit week at school, maybe blue ribbon? Can't remember exactly. But she had to dress up every day and I loved her choice of look on this 'crazy' day. I love how confident and positive this girl is all the time.
In Annabelle's fourth grade class they highlight one student a week in something called, "virtue week". I am to make a poster for Annbelle highlighting her virtues and then one day during the week I come in and share it with the class. I loved this, especially since this is our first year at this school; I felt like it was a great way to get to know Annabelle.
I am getting ready to run my first marathon next weekend in St George! Last year I ran my first half marathon and two years before that was the first time I ran my first 10k, or 6 miles. Growing up, I hated running and would try to get my dad to let me stay out of school the days we had to run the mile, so it seems funny that I do this as a regular thing now and actually kind of like it. In preparing for my marathon and running for sometimes 3 hours at a time, I started eating pickles more regularly as I read that the salt and vinegar help with endurance athletes because of all the salt you're losing through sweat, and the vinegar acts as a muscle relaxer. I've also tried a little mustard plain, but that's just gross so I haven't done that much, and it helps with the same sort of things. Nutrition is important always, and it shows up even more so when you're taxing your body like this.
"If you feed them, they will come." We had some neighbors over again for another movie night a couple weekends ago. And we always make food because I know they love it, it's fun to eat at other people's homes and it makes you feel more welcome and comfortable...or at least it did for me; it's like the parent is staying, 'stay, eat, hang around for awhile, we like you.' :)
Charles continues to love football and his 3 night a week, 2 hour practices, along with his Saturday games. Football will continue through November.
I'm so proud of Scott for completing his first sprint triathlon! I was sad I couldn't be there as it was an hour away in Syracuse and he didn't sign up til last minute and we had 2 sports games that morning, but we celebrated that night by having dinner at The Knotts on Main. He did great and got the time he was hoping/expecting to get. He said he got dizzy during the swim, which could be from not wearing ear plugs...we're not really sure. He liked using the wet suit and said it felt like he was cheating because it helps you float, but everyone wears them. I'm guessing he'll want to do another one in the future and I'm hoping he does so I can watch and cheer him on!

