Sunday, May 21, 2017

Hug Time, Provo Half Marathon

Nora picked up "hug time" from the movie Trolls, so when her watch beeps on the hour, she'll find me for hug time and I love it!
Elisa Ludwig and I drove to American Fork together to pick up our Half Marathon race packets (and the kids marathon race packets), and then we stopped off at the Thanksgiving Point Farm on the way home. We loved seeing all the baby animals that were born this Spring.
Nora got to ride on a pony which she was very excited about.
And this baby goat was the cutest, licking her hand and rubbing it's face on her. She asked if we could get one as a pet. I reminded her that we don't do pets because dad and I have a hard enough time supervising 5 children and making sure they get chores done and everything else.
I took this picture as Nora and I were checking out at Walmart. I figured she must be hungry or tired with the way she was acting while we were grabbing a few things at the store (lots of whining and some tears, wanting everything and having a hard time with my 'not today' response. She fell asleep in this very uncomfortable cart.
Junior High had a Spirit Week recently and here is Elisabeth dressed up like someone from the 70's, or maybe it was the 80's?
While at Hobby Lobby searching for a birthday present for one of the girls friends, I walked through the framed signs and ended up buying these three:(2 for the kitchen, one for the living/family room).

I wasn't sure if Scott would want us to keep this first sign because he doesn't always love that we sing and dance while we clean in the kitchen because it prolongs the time it takes to finish the job. But he chuckled when he saw it so I think he doesn't mind it as much as I thought he did.
And this is totally true! So if I want my kids and all their soon-to-be teenage friends hanging out at our place, I'll need to make sure to open my fridge and pantry, or make something for them.
Love this:
As the weather has warmed up, the kids have been putting the sprinkler under the trampoline. Here is Annabelle trying to lay on top of where the water is spraying up, and Charles sporting his goggles.
Elisabeth played beautifully at her Spring recital.
And as mentioned above, Elisa Ludwig and I ran a half marathon together. We ran together a couple of times before the race, but we couldn't train much together because our schedules are different and I have to run early morning before the kids are up and going, and she needs her sleep because she has a baby that doesn't sleep through the night, so she tends to go later in the morning with a couple kids in tow. But this was my half marathon training plan that I was pretty good about following. It has you running 6 days a week, with one long run day, one intervals speed and strength training day, and one tempo run day (race pace). I felt like this really got me prepared to do my best and it pushed me to run faster. 


Here we are just before the race began, on Saturday May 6. We drove down to Provo and then caught a bus up to Provo canyon around 515am. Busses ran from 430-530am. The race began at 7am so we had a wait awhile but we stretched and visited and it wasn't as cold as last year which was nice. We also found several pacers before hand and looked at their wristbands to see how fast theyd be running each mile and kinda picked who we thought we'd try to stick with. 
Elisa L and I started with the pacer that finished in 1 hour 40 minutes. Elisa L and I ran together the first few miles and then she needed to slow down a tiny bit. I kept with the pacer for a couple more miles but then after awhile I let her go ahead but I kept her in my view for most of the race, until about the last few miles. Around mile 10 my feet really started to feel the pavement under them and it was getting painful, so it really turned into a mental game those last several miles. I was grateful for all the training I'd done so I could tell myself things like, "just 6 more miles, you do this all the time, easy tempo run." and "4 miles left, that's nothin". "just a 5k". and "everyone here is in pain, just like you, be stronger and push past it, it'll be over so soon.". "only 8 minutes left, you can do anything for 8 minutes." 

I finished in 1 hour 42 minutes at a 7:49 pace which is a PR (personal record) from last year's time where I finished in 1 hour 49 minutes at a 8:22 pace! And I came in 7th out of 46 in my age group for women.
Scott and the kids met us down there and watched and cheered as we came across the finish line. The kids like going because they get their faces painted, there's a couple bounce houses and some snacks and prizes to win.
As soon as I was done I drank some water, ate some oranges and a banana, went for a rub down at their massage tables (my calves got really tight toward the last several miles) and then changed into clean, dry clothes that I had Scott bring for me and we got ready to watch the kids marathon. They had printed out a chart a couple months previous to this and had been keeping track of miles run/walked. They would get 25 miles logged before this run and then they raced the final 1.2 miles.


They loved it!
And they loved getting their medals and bibs which we've added to our running medal board/hanger.
So this was a lot more red the day off the race, but it basically was little cuts everywhere from my waistband on my shorts. I could feel it after awhile as I was running but there wasn't anything I could do but finish strong so I just pushed through that irritation/pain from all the rubbing. It was painful to the touch that night which made it hard to sleep, but by the next morning they'd all turned into scabs and felt much better. Next year I'll need to be sure to not wear shorts I hadn't tested on a long run, and maybe i'll tuck in my t-shirt for added protection.

Here are the kids mile log sheets:



No comments: