Monday, October 10, 2016

Power in the Book of Mormon

I love that Nora loves to eat bell peppers and carrots with hummus! Making good choices. 

Speaking of making good choices, both Charles and Elisabeth finished reading the Book of Mormon this year (as did Scott and I, again)! We've really made it more of a priority this year. We've always read as a family each night, and Scott and I have always read on our own, and a couple of years ago I started putting it on their chore charts to complete each day, but I think they mostly didn't and we didn't really check-in with them on it much. But this past year we really made it our focus; we talked to the kids about the importance of reading it each day and the safety it provides, and now in the mornings, instead of just asking if they've made their beds or done their dishwasher, now I always say, "did you read your scriptures? That's the most important thing on your list so let's make sure to do it first."  I love this quote from President Ezra Taft Benson about their being power in the Book of Mormon that will flow into our lives once we begin a serious study of it, and that we'll have power to resist temptation and avoid deception. I know (because I've seen this in our home) that if we do this, if we really study, not just read the scriptures each day, on our own and with our families, that we can have this safety and power in our homes and in our lives. It's nice not to have to worry so much when our kids walk out the door in the morning and go off to elementary and junior high for 7 hours of the day. 


No comments: