Monday, February 22, 2016

Guest Room Finished!

I have a few random pictures from the week before I get into our 'before' and 'after' of our guestroom. 

Several times a year, our library has a booksale (and movies, magazines etc), where everything is 25 cents, sometimes cheaper...I think I bought Les Miserables for 10 cents several years ago, and that book is HUGE! A couple of weeks ago they were having a 25 cent sale and I picked up Alicia Silverstone's "the Kind Diet", which I read before and had made and loved several of the recipes. That 25 cent purchase on this hard cover book that I love, made my day :). 
 Nora is going through this phase right now where she is, hmmm, how do I say this kindly? If she wants something and doesn't get it, she's super stubborn and has a hard time moving onto something else. For example, at church, every week, while we're sitting in sacrament meeting (it's 1 hour, and we always feed the children before we leave) she insists, every week, that she's really hungry and has to eat right now, or chew gum. But I don't bring things like that, we haven't for years when I discovered that it didn't really help and usually made things worse. So anyway, she'll start saying it softly, "I'm hungry" and then she gets louder, and then she cries while she says it in a loud voice and we'll try and distract her with stories we tell her in her ear, or with drawing but that usually doesn't work and we either have to take her out to the hall (where we have her sit with us on a chair until she's ready to go back in) or sometimes we can get her siblings to distract her and that seems to work better. At this stage in life, she's also trying to get off naps. She doesn't want to nap, and because she has a hard time going to bed at night when she does nap, I don't insist on naps (she'll be 4 in a couple of months). But when she doesn't nap, around 2 until bedtime at 730, she gets really tired and cranky and oftentimes will fall asleep on the couch or in the van. And I can't just move her bedtime to an earlier time because she already gets up between 530-6 every day and if she goes to bed earlier, she'll be up even earlier and though Scott and I are awake at 515, we don't want her getting up at the same time as us; even 30 minutes later is better than having her get up at the same time. This to shall pass....

I love Annabelle's drawing, which I believe she must have made based off the scripture and song about Faith being like a little seed, that if planted and cared for, will grow. 

 I have made raw sauerkraut a couple of times recently, and I love that it is so easy and it's so good for you! Raw sauerkraut is full of enzymes and probiotics (the good, friendly bacteria) which helps us improve our digestion and cleansing. The only downfall is that it does make my pantry (where I store it for the week that I allow it to sit before we can open and use it and store in fridge) smell like a gym locker during the last few days. Once opened, it'll store in the fridge for a month.

 Now onto our house project. Several months ago, Scott took down all the ceiling panels in the guest room and the girls room downstairs. He then framed a hallway because we've never liked that you have to walk through one room to get to another,



put drywall up for the ceilings and hallway, we had someone come do the texture, I painted the ceiling, hallway and guest room, I took down the old baseboards and the old moulding on the lower half of the wall which I didn't like, and then Scott put up beadboard and new baseboard. 

As he finished the beadboard/baseboard, I painted it with a white, glossy finish. Then he did the electrical, putting in three new outlets, 
and he built a closet into the space that was made awkward by our new hallway. 
 I painted the closet,
 
we got a new bed ordered for Elisabeth (she had a queen that we wanted to use for the guest room, and we got her a Full, which also fit her room better as she shares with Annabelle) and brought her bed in here and got the room all set up! 
 The only thing left is to put doors on both bedroom closets and paint them; but it's usable now and in good time because we have family coming in two weeks to stay with us for Annabelle's baptism! Yay!

 Over the next two Saturdays we will be framing all three bathroom mirrors...and replacing the very large master bath mirror that I accidentally broke when I tried to pull off the piece of frame that we had, 5 minutes before, stuck to the mirror, in the wrong spot (see that crack between the two wood frame pieces). Those liquid nails are seriously strong and adhere like no other. I felt horrible when it happened, all of mine and Scott's hard work that Saturday, lost, but it's okay. I know we all make mistakes, this one seemed really big, but I've learned from it and we have a plan in place for when we replace the mirror and frame it again. I'm not going to give up, I'll continue to help Scott, just as he didn't give up when he had some mishaps with the basement rooms (nail gun in water pipe, ceiling fan problem, electrical not working after we put up drywall so had to take back down again etc). I've learned a lot these past months, as has Scott and when we learn, sometimes we slip and fall, but we don't give up and we are so, so happy when it's all done and finished and things are better than they were before. Reminds me of life in general :); right? We all make mistakes, even when we're trying to do what's right and be better and improve ourselves, sometimes we slip and fall, but we mustn't give up; we need to learn our lesson, grow, improve and better ourselves and continue on our path toward the Savior.


No comments: