Wednesday, December 2, 2015

North Carolina: Part 1 of 3

We are back now from our trip to North Carolina, but I'm going to go back in time and document our trip. 

Saturday and Sunday November 21 and 22 , just before our trip, we did laundry, cleaned and packed and got all ready for our trip to North Carolina that following Monday morning. Sunday I also got a new calling as Primary Chorister. I'm excited to be with my five kids in primary (Nora is in nursery but will be in primary next month; and Elisabeth has 6 more months in primary before she turns 12 and moves to Young Women), but I'm also sad to no longer be with the youth as their Sunday School teacher; they were so much fun and I loved being with them each week. Monday morning Scott and I woke up at 5 (which is actually our normal time, but this time we didn't exercise), read, got dressed and ready and then got the kids up around 545, got them dressed in the clothes they'd set out, everyone used the bathroom and then we were off to the airport. 

I had packed them each a ziploc bag of snacks and granola bars, and everyone had their water bottles, so once we got through security and made it to our gate, we ate a granola bar or other quick snack before getting on our first, 1 1/2 hour flight to Las Vegas. 

On the first flight, the three oldest sat next to each other, and then Scott sat with Nora and Jane and I sat on an aisle seat close by so that I could help if needed. The woman sitting next to me was reading a book called, Eat Pretty, which caught my attention since I'm into health and nutrition. We started talking and I found out that she was originally from Auburn, WA which is not far from me, and she was a gymnast growing up and went to BYU and was a BYU cheerleader, as was her younger sister. I asked lots of questions about how long she practiced as a gymnast growing up and then as a BYU cheerleader (5 hours at gymnastics, from right after school until 10pm and then 3 1/2-4 hours each morning for cheerleading, plus 3 days a week they had an hour, mandatory strength training they had to do, lifting weights and such), and if she had a certain diet or typical foods she liked to eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner. She said that now that she's not exercising nearly as much (she graduated in 2012 from BYU), probably 3-4 times a week now and only about 30 minutes, that she doesn't need to eat nearly as much so she'll typically have water in the morning and once she gets to work, which is early, she'll snack on nuts and fruit and then around lunch time she'll have hummus and veggies and half an avocado with a little salt and pepper and balsamic vinaigrette. I went home and tried eating an avocado like that and it is amazingly yummy! 

Our next flight was 4 hours and this time Scott sat with Jane and I sat with Nora. Nora slept for a little bit, maybe 45 minutes, and this time I sat next to an elderly gentleman, Garydon, from North Carolina who was kind and we became friends and when he noticed I liked the Lorna Doone cookies the flight attendants had handed out, he asked them for more and when they came by with a cart, they took 6 bags and handed them all off to me :). They were small, but still, it seemed like too much. :)

 Here are some pictures the older kids took on the flight.



 And I snapped this one as we landed in Raleigh.
 Grandma and Grandpa Smith picked us up at the airport and we went back to their house. Krissy's family was at the house waiting for us. Here is Ruthie helping Elisabeth play the piano.
 Tuesday we were able to spend some time with both Krissy and Kelley and their kids. Sydney is the oldest of their kids, and she's 4, so my older kids are quite a bit older, but they still enjoyed playing with them and kind of babysitting.


 The girls LOVE dressing up in all of grandma's scarves and shawls.




Wednesday morning Mark and Jenn and their family arrived, and they have Anthony and Anna, ages 11 and 9, so my kids were pretty excited for their arrival. More on that in the next post.

No comments: