Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Utah and Home Improvement Projects

 Well, after our Uhaul disaster (they gave us a smaller truck than they guaranteed, and threw in a tiny trailer to help, but it was still much too small; so Scott ended up having to make another trip back to Denver from Utah over the weekend to get the rest of our stuff before the next tenant was to move in; thankfully Jim Redd from our church ward here offered to go with him which we really appreciated), it was so nice to be home again with the entire family, even if the house was filled with boxes.

We had so much help when we got here which made moving-in easier, and it made us feel loved and welcomed right back into our old neighborhood. We love the people here and are happy to be back among them. I told Scott, after I went to church Sunday (he was in Denver loading up again), that it was so nice to sit in church, head in scriptures while others are reading, and not even have to look up to see who was speaking because I knew their voices...I think I smiled to myself with each new reader; I love them all! Backing up, we took off Friday night around 7pm and drove until about 11pm, in Rawlins Wyoming, where we stayed at a Hampton Inn for the night. Charles and the little girls rode with me in the van for that leg of the trip, and Elisabeth rode with Scott. Saturday morning we ate breakfast and were on the road again by 8am, this time Elisabeth was in the van with me and Charles with Scott. I wanted to make sure I always had one of them with me since they are older and were a huge help with the younger girls who needed snacks and help starting their dvds etc. We got to our home around 2pm on Saturday and several men were over within the first 15 minutes of our arrival, helping us unload and put furniture and boxes in their correct rooms. Maren, my neighbor and good friend, came over with baby Sarah and set up most of our beds, the sweetheart. Kim and her older kids came over later that day and helped me unpack for a couple of hours.
 By that night we had the living room cleared, the kitchen unpacked, and everyone's wardrobes unpacked.
 I didn't want to wake up Sunday morning to a chaotic kitchen so it was so nice to have their help so that I woke up to an orderly and clean kitchen. By the way, that eyesore of an oven is leaving this Friday and I will have a double, stainless steel oven in it's place! I can't wait! That white oven is hazardous; I remember the heating element catching on fire twice when we lived here before, which I then replaced twice! Scary!  And the previous tenants said a couple of the stove top burners were temperamental. I also just ordered a new washer and dryer since we sold ours in Denver...they won't get here for another 6 days so I may be going to a friends to do a load soon :).
 Scott got back from Denver Sunday night around 10pm. Monday morning at 740, the teens from the church and neighborhood were at our door and they unloaded everything else with the help of some of several adults as well. Scott went back to work Tuesday morning and we have been working on our mile-high list of projects :). Tuesday afternoon I was touch-up painting several rooms that needed help when I realized the house had been quiet for a good half hour. I looked out the back window and saw the little girls on the swing set and Elisabeth and Charles out in our 'garden', well, it once was a garden, but now it's more like a jungle, but they were out there with tools and a large garbage sack, clearing out weeds. We have good kids and I was touched by their thoughtful gesture to help out without being asked.
 In our master bath, it looked like someone had sprayed a cleaning solution on several areas of the wall that was not good for paint, because it turned this light blue paint into a bright turquoise on several places, so I fixed that up, and then did some spots in the master, and two other bedrooms.
 The first tenants that we had painted the kitchen and I did not like the color they choose, at all. The bottom is a tan-ish color which is fine, but then the top is a yellow that does not go well with the tan, and which looks lime green at night. So I'm in the process of choosing another color which will go better with the tan...I need to choose this week because Monday and Tuesday next week we have a guy coming to paint our entry/hallway/living room/stairs area and our family room downstairs, and he said he'd do the yellow in the kitchen for me with no extra charge if I'd get a gallon of paint that I like. So excited to have these walls done so we can unpack our family room and hang some things on the walls.
 And we're still working on the laundry room, but we're hoping to have it all done and ready by Tuesday when our machines arrive. The drywall and floors are in, Thursday we'll sand, Friday we'll texture, and hopefully Saturday we'll paint which leaves baseboards for Monday. I can't wait until it's all done! After the laundry room is done, then it'll be the hallway we're putting into Charles' room, taking out the paneled ceilings in his room and Elisabeth and Annabelle's room and putting in sheet rock, putting in another wall in Elisabeth's room because the other one is too close to the kitchen plumbing and has caused problems, and then painting those rooms. And then we'll move on to updating 2 of the three bathrooms (already updated the 3rd), extending the driveway back to the shed, and last, the kitchen. These projects, along with the new carpets we got last year, will make the whole house look quite different. We think it'll probably end up taking a year, possibly two, before we get it all done, but it'll be wonderful when it is.

No comments: