Monday, May 18, 2015

Mother's Day

Scott was in Utah for Mother's Day this year, but the kids, on their own, stepped up to make it a special day. The night before Mother's Day I was told not to come downstairs until 730am. I told them okay, but also reminded them that I had some extra green smoothie in the fridge that I was planning on having in the morning for breakfast (it's what I have every day for breakfast, and it's been that way for 5 years). Sunday morning I heard kids getting up around 630am. I sat in bed and read my scriptures and listened as the older kids struggled  helped the younger kids get ready for church. I may have smiled knowingly a couple of times when I heard 3 year old Nora screech about not wanting to wear a particular dress; even at three, that girl has some very decided opinions about clothes and fashion. It was nice to have that hour to myself in the morning to read and get ready. 
At 730, Annabelle came in to call me down for dinner, but I noticed she looked a bit put-out. It looked like she had been crying. I asked her what the matter was and she told me that Elisabeth and Charles only made four pancakes and so they told her she couldn't have any because 2 were going to mom and then Jane and Nora, the youngest, each needed to have one. I assured Annabelle that she could have one of mine which cheered her up instantly. The dining table was all set with place mats, plates and forks, and their were strawberries along with the pancakes, and of course my green smoothie. I asked Elisabeth about there only being four pancakes and she said she forgot to double the recipe (and it looked like she made some quite a bit larger than I normally do). I cut all the pancakes in half so that everyone got some and then made some toast as well. 

Once breakfast was all cleaned up we headed to church. I taught Jane's CTR 4 class which is the smallest class in our ward with only 3-4 kids that come each week. I brought my Nativity dress ups and had the kids act out the story of Nephi, Laman and Lemuel getting the plates (scriptures) from King Laban. 


Once we finished acting out our story, the kids asked if they could 'play house', and so they did :). We built a little tent with blankets and James was Father Lehi and the girls were other members of his family :). They loved it! I don't know why I haven't ever done this before for a Primary class.
I was the narrator and King Laban.
I wanted to get a Mother's Day picture with all the kids in their church clothes, but forgot about it until after they'd all changed. And then Jane did not want to be in a picture at all, and so I told her that if she wanted a treat that night after dinner, she needed to be in the picture with us, and hence we have the reaction to that request/threat below. Mommy of the year award right here! :) Not my best mommy moment, but hey, no one's perfect, right? Next year I'll try and gently and lovingly persuade rather than threaten with no treats :).
Yeah, after that last picture above, I told her she had to look happy for it to count. So we got the one below.
And a funny face picture, without Jane because I decided at this point that if she didn't want to be in it, then it's not that big of a deal. I have so many other pictures with her that it's all good.

Both Elisabeth and Charles wanted individual shots with mom.

Scott was invited over to our friends the Scott's for a mothers day dinner (thank you Kim and Larry!) so he called later and we got to face time with him. We actually do face time with him just about every day. Elder Driscoll and Bassett stopped by before bed to take some pictures with the family (we were already in pjs), because Elder Driscoll, our British Elder, was getting transferred the following day. We'll sure miss Elder Driscoll, and Elder Bassett as we are moving this week.
And last but not least, Mother's Day dessert! Carmelitos are a personal favorite of mine. I try to justify eating them by reminding myself that they're made with chopped nuts, oats, butter and whole wheat flour...but then there is also an entire jar of Mrs. Richardson's caramel, butterscotch and white chocolate chips and brown sugar. But for mother's day, it's all good. We were good and shared with the missionaries and then I froze the leftovers and brought them over to a farewell get together my good friend and neighbor, Desi planned.
Once the kids were all in bed, I called home and talked with my mom and dad, which is something I do every week, but still, it was the perfect way to end Mother's Day. I'm so grateful for mothers who sacrifice to much for their children and others. I'm so grateful for my mom and for Scott's mom, for their dedication and hard work. I love them both dearly.

No comments: