Monday, March 2, 2015

Scones and Behavior Chart

Annabelle and I went to Panera bread for her birthday date last week. While there, I noticed a couple of scones that looked amazingly delicious. I didn't get any that day, but later that week I looked up some scone recipes, saw that I had all the ingredients and that they were fairly simple, and so we went for it. We actually made them a couple of different days since you know how I like to experiment with food :). The first time we made lemon poppyseed scones using half white flour and half whole wheat. They were amazing! So yummy and the texture was perfect; a little flaky and crispy on the outside and so soft on the inside. So the next time I thought I'd try making them using half whole wheat and half spelt, like my pizza and rolls recipe, with no white flour. They were still very yummy, but it changed the texture so they weren't as flaky and crispy, and I think I like it better the other way. So now, I'll need to experiment again with mostly whole wheat flour with a little white and see if that helps with the texture. Anyway, that got kind of long and boring, I'm sure. :)
Also, forgot to mention that the second time we tried scones we made half of them lemon poppyseed and half of them vanilla bean. Both were delicious.
lemon poppyseed, half white, half wheat scone
whole wheat and spelt vanilla bean scone
My dear friend Elisa L. from Utah, recently told me about a behavior chart and reward system she came up with for her kids that has been working really well. I asked her to text me pictures and then I went ahead and came up with something similar for our kids. I kind of think these behavior charts and rewards programs are partly for training the parents. 'Let's train parents to actually look for and praise the good on a regular basis, and in order to do so, let's set up this system that the children are on board with so they can remind the parents that they need to be looking for those things so they can earn their reward 'stars' or 'bucks' :)." But it's a good thing. Because I still need lots of training. And I do feel like the feeling in the home changes when we are really trying to focus on and look for the good in others and when we audibly acknowledge it so the children can know what good they've done and what good they can still do.

My kids actually use something similar to this behavior chart in their school classes. This is how ours works: each child starts the day with a green card in the front of their pocket. If they don't follow the rules (which are listed on that white sheet of paper; things like being disrespectful, hurting, teasing, antagonizing, not listening to mom and dad etc) then we'll ask them to change the color of their card so they'll move their green card to the back and a yellow card will be at the front. They have 5 cards total, the last being black. If they get to black, they have a consequence (usually it's 30 minutes earlier bedtime or lose friends or media time the following day). If they don't get to black, however many colored cards they have remaining in front of the black card, they'll get a buck, or in our case, a star (since I already had a bunch from before) for each card. They can save those stars and redeem them for rewards which are also listed on that white sheet of paper. They can also earn stars if we notice them doing something kind or good. They're really excited about the opportunity to earn so many stars and to go on extra dates with mom and dad etc, so I'm hoping this will be a good thing that'll last awhile.  Thanks Elisa L. for the idea!


No comments: