Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Report Cards, Reading, and Play

Our local grocery store, King Soopers, has these fake horses you can ride in the front of their store for a penny. So every time we go to the store, we have to stop at the horse ;).

The kids got their report cards in this past week and everyone had great notes from their teachers and all 3's and 4's so we took the family out to Zinga frozen yogurt to celebrate. I was disappointed that they were out of their Mochi, which is my favorite topping. If I had known, I wouldn't have gotten any frozen yogurt.
When Nora naps during the day, I make myself sit or lay on my bed for at least thirty minutes and read. That may not sound like a big deal but I have so much to do all the time every day with cooking and cleaning and helping children and paying bills and running errands and fulfilling callings for church etc that if I didn't make myself do this, I would never sit down and rest, ever. And I want to be a good example to my children and show them that reading is important; and I do enjoy reading but actually sitting down and picking up the book can be hard at times. Many times, Jane will jump up on the bed with me, sometimes with a stack of books of her own, or sometimes with a blanket, or a doll, and after about 10 minutes, she'll doze off. I've dozed off a couple of times myself, which could have negative consequences if one was to accidentally sleep through kids school pick-up, not that that's ever happened to me ;). I love and cherish that quiet, peaceful time and that short rest fills me with energy and hope and I feel rejuvenated and ready to keep going until bed time. It's usually around 1pm which means I've already been up and going strong for 8 hours. This past week I finished The Giver by Lois Lowry, which I would highly recommend. It's a very thought provoking book and I found lots of similarities in the Gospel of Jesus Christ and his eternal plan. Elisabeth finished that book just a few days before me and then we watched the movie this past weekend with Scott and Charles, too.
While Nora naps, we also spend time working on Jane's letters and numbers and then she does quiet activities like puzzles, coloring, linkin logs or tinker toys. She took this picture below of her tinker toy creation.
The weather has warmed up quite a bit over the past week. Just a week and a half ago we got A LOT of snow, and Sunday it was 75 degrees! Gorgeous! We've been going for lots of walks.

I love this picture; Can you find Scott? He's somewhere buried beneath the five laughing children :).

No comments: