Thursday, October 9, 2014

doTerra Essential Oils

A few months ago I went to a doTerra essential oil class. I had heard some good things about doTerra, their company and products, but I didn't have any experience with them myself and I wanted more information. During the class, our instructor said that she had an organic chemist in one of her previous classes. His job is to extract the protective part of the plant and make a synthetic version that they could patent and sell. These are our modern medicines and they are costly and many times we experience multiple side effects from taking them. Essential oils go straight to the source. The oil has been extracted from the plant and we use that oil to enhance our physical and emotional health without side effects. I love this scripture that talks about how God created the earth and the plants for us to use and benefit from, to strengthen our bodies and enliven our souls.

"All things which come of the earth, in the season thereof, are made for the benefit and the use of man, both to please the eye and to gladden the heart; 
Yea, for food and for raiment, for taste and for smell, to strengthen the body and to enliven the soul."
              ~Doctrine and Covenants 59: 18-19

Our Creator knows us. He knows the earth and nature because he created them. He made our bodies so they can heal themselves and the earth to help us along that path of healing and wholeness.

 Another perk to essential oils is that when you're healing yourself naturally, it ends up being less expensive for you because you don't have doctors visits or expensive prescriptions etc. Now, all that being said, I've really only had experience with doTerra essential oils, I haven't experimented with other companies oils so I can't say how they compare.

After the class I bought the guide book, took it home, and studied the oils and found out which oils help with various symptoms. After looking at my family and our needs, I ordered about ten different oils, though I had a much longer 'wish list'. I'll probably get a few more for Christmas :). Here are a list of the oils I've been using so far with a brief explanation on what and how we've been using them. The first two are oil blends, the rest are single oils. The ones with stars in front of the name are my personal favorites where I've seen the most impact. But like I mentioned, I'm still pretty new to the oils, I've only been using them for the past 6 months, so who knows, through time I may have stars next to many more once I've had more experience with a variety of oils. Like Wintergreen...I probably won't know until my next dentist appointment if it's working or not :); read what I wrote for Wintergreen for an explanation.

*On Guard: kids got sick and were feverish while at the beach this summer. I rubbed this on their feet with some coconut oil, several times during the day and it didn't even last 24 hours.

*Breathe: I used this for myself and for kids and hubby when we had a cold/cough/congestion. I put it behind my ears and a little under my nose and it helped to clear things up. I rub it on my kids chest when they're congested with a little coconut oil (like you would with vapor rub)

*Peppermint: Scott uses this for headaches. It's also a great fever reducer. peppermint brought down nora's fever from 103 to 101 within 20 minutes after we rubbed some on her neck and spine... we didn't give her anything else since it brought her down to a 'safe' temperature. We didn't want to give her something like ibuprofen if we didn't have to, which would make her body stop fighting and numb symptoms temporarily.

Eucalyptus: with a little coconut oil to massage on scott's back when he's tense or has any aches and pains.

Ginger and Wild Orange: When we drove to NC if I started to feel a little motion sick I'd smell ginger or wild orange. I also have cooked with ginger; adding one drop to my liquids for my granola recipe.

Lemon and Wild Orange: great in smoothies. Wild Orange is rejuvenating and invigorating. Just smelling it makes you feel energized. Lemon is great for cleaning when mixed with water and vinegar.

Wintergreen: drop a couple of drops in some warm water as a mouth wash because I've always gotten lots of cavities over the years and it's an antiseptic.

Grapefruit: helps curb appetite. I put a drop in a glass of water in late afternoon when feeling hungry.

*Melaleuca(tea tree): we've used tea tree oils, not just from doTerra, a couple of times now for a couple of different children that had moloscum contangiosum(kinda like warts; on stomach, chest area). Charles had it a few years ago and dr said it'd just go away on it's own after a couple of months. Well a couple of months turned into a year and it spread and got worse. Then advised that I bring him in to have them frozen off like with normal warts. I remember getting warts frozen off as an adult and it was not pleasant. I did some research and we tried tea tree oil and after applying it every day for a week or two, they turned red, got a little bigger with a white top and then popped. He didn't complain or whine as I put them on, except maybe the very last day right when it was about to pop he said 'ouch' as I put it on but nothing worse than that. Same thing happened to two-year-old Nora recently with same results.  Tea tree is great for any wart, acne etc.

*Frankincense and Lavendar: I made my own face lotion/balm that I love and use every morning and night after I wash my face. I used to get acne for a few days around 'my time of the month' but I haven't since I started using this!  Frankincense is anti-inflammatory, anti-infectious, antiseptic, anticancer, soothes skin and nerves and is known for it's anti-aging effects. Lavendar helps reduce inflammation and allergic reactions in skin. Also helps skin recover from various injuries and infections and helps reduce conditions related to dry skin. Antifungal, antihistamine, anti-infectious, antiseptic and more. I also use Lavendar for my allergies and I have a foot scrub I've made with lavendar, coconut oil and epsom salts.

Here are a couple of recipes I use and love:

Face balm recipe
1/4 organic coconut oil
5 drops frankincense
3 drops lavendar
Whip together with a spoon and store in a jar.

Lavendar coconut hand/foot scrub
1 c coconut oil
1/2 c epsom salt
10 drops lavendar essential oil



No comments: