Monday, September 22, 2014

An apology note and soccer season

 Last Sunday morning was rough getting our children, well, one in particular, ready for church. Charles tends to wait to get things done and then do it all at the last second, which doesn't always mesh well with my prepared and organized habits. We've got a good system down for school where he has a chore chart and checks things off as he goes and gets a reward for being done by a certain time each morning, but we haven't come up with something like that for Sundays, but I think I will put something together soon :).

After church Sunday, we asked Charles to stay in his room until he wrote us an apology note. I wanted to make sure he knew which of his behaviors/actions had caused problems that morning. He handed me the note below, after about ten minutes; It seems to me that he got it. I had a hard morning as well and I was not as patient and loving of a mother as I should have been, so I apologized to him as well and told him some specific things I did wrong that I have been working on. And I have to say, this past week was a really good one, and this past Sunday I did so much better, even though he started off with similar behaviors and actions, BUT he got MUCH better as I showed love and patience and was "firm but kind" (line from Mary Poppins and Sound of Music, I believe). My positive reactions seemed to put out the fire, rather than fuel it, as it had done the previous week. I had a lot of help from the Lord, through focused scripture study and prayer throughout this past week; I know that the Lord's thoughts are not my thoughts, or His ways my ways (Isaiah 55:8) but I turned to Him because I needed to learn from Him, and I did. I really felt His help in my life, His peace, His love, and I felt that, just as the scripture says in Doctrine and Covenants 11, that he blessed me with the Spirit and that it enlightened my mind. Here is the scripture verse: "I will impart unto you of my Spirit, which shall enlighten your mind, which shall fill your soul with joy;" I am so grateful we have a loving Heavenly Father and brother, Jesus Christ, who give us a perfect example to follow and who know us so well that they can help us through anything and everything if we will just turn to them for guidance.
Switching gears, I took this picture of the girls getting a little exercise doing a kids dance video. Annabelle joined in with her younger sisters once her homework and piano was done.

 I'm not really sure who took this picture or when it was taken. It looks like Nora was upset about something and Annabelle and I are trying to make her feel better :).
Elisabeth has soccer practice every Monday and Friday nights from 6-7pm which I don't love, but at least her practice is at a field within walking distance. 
The weather is still warm and beautiful so if dinner is ready and kids are done with chores by the time Elisabeth has to go, we all walk/ride bikes down to the park and play while she practices. 


Here is a short video I took of 2-year-old Nora cheering on Elisabeth during her soccer game last weekend. Her cheers worked because Elisabeth scored! They've had three games this season and this was her teams first goal so it was pretty exciting; as they get older, soccer is a lower scoring game.  Annabelle scored twice during her Saturday game as well!

No comments: