Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Too much reading and Linger restaurant

 Elisabeth, Charles and Annabelle received priesthood blessings from Scott on their first day of school. Nora jumped up on the piano bench when they were done and folded her arms and closed her eyes....I guess she wanted one too :).  They look so sweet when they fold their arms and close their eyes...not that I ever peek during prayer :). Jane wanted her picture taken too.
 I found several pictures on my phone that Jane and/or Nora had taken during the day when the kids were gone at school:

We pulled out our water table and the girls splashed and played....
 ....while I sat in a camping chair and finished reading the Divergent series. I read WAY too much this past week which is not good. I normally read for about an hour a day, 30 minutes before the kids wake up, from my scriptures, and then 30 minutes later on while Nora naps, usually from a nonfiction book...I've been reading Thomas S. Monson's biography called, To the Rescue, for awhile now. Anyway, I decided to read this series after Scott and I saw the Divergent movie last week. The first Divergent book was pretty good, but a bit more violent than I would have liked(more violent than the movie which seemed odd), the second book was hard to read because the narrator/main character was so irritating, and selfish that being stuck in her head for 500 pages was difficult....kinda like the 5th Harry Potter book. I have a hard time liking Harry in the 5th book! The third Divergent book started off better than the second but then there is some really inappropriate and under-age behavior that I cannot tolerate, even if it is just implied, and then to top it all off, the ending was HORRIBLE! It put me in a bad mood. I was frustrated that I spent a lot of time reading these books and didn't become a better person from it or didn't really gain any insight or understanding. I'll choose my book(s) more carefully next time.
 The girls also rode bikes and cars around our driveway while I sat and read. See, lame mom. Sitting and reading for long periods of time while missing out on all the fun with my girls.
 While Nora naps, Jane and I do school time together. Right now she writes her first and last name and then numbers 1-4, and then we'll recite numbers 1-20. She remembers 1-12 on her own but as soon as we switch to the teens she has a really hard time. After school time we have quiet time and I'll read her a couple of books and then she usually plays with dolls or draws or does puzzles and I read or write or work on my next Primary Sharing Time lesson for the children in our church. We're usually in our front room during quiet time. We have lots of big windows in that room and I love all the light.
 Sister Murphy from church pulled me aside a couple of weeks ago and said, "If you make me your peanut butter popcorn (it's an all natural version) I'll watch your kids one night so you and Scott can go on a date." Are you kidding me?! Done! She came over this weekend and watched the kids while Scott and I went to dinner at Linger in downtown Denver and then we saw The Giver at the theater. We had a very nice evening, the food was wonderful and the movie was good and clean! For the most part, I prefer to watch movies at home rather than in theaters. For one, it's a lot cheaper, two, I can lay down with a blanket and snuggle up to Scott, and three, I have a remote control in hand and I can fast forward anything unpleasant and/or questionable.
 Back at home, Sister Murphy warmed up food for the kids (burritos) and then Elisabeth put Jane and Nora to bed (I love that she's old enough to take care of things) and then the older three kids and Sister Murphy watched the third Harry Potter movie while snacking on regular popcorn and peanut butter popcorn. The restaurant, Linger, featured yummy items from all around the world. Scott and I ordered a greek salad, a rice and lentil crepe with potatoes and peas, and some sort of African chicken dish that's inside of a pastry; the first two are pictured here. Oh and I forgot to mention that we stopped by Little Man Ice Cream after Linger since it was on the way to our car :), and we got an oatmeal cookie ice cream in a waffle cone that we 'shared'; in reality, Scott had a few bites and I ate the rest :). It was SO yummy, I loved all the cookie bits inside.

No comments: