Monday, May 5, 2014

Mad Hatter (Alice in Wonderland) Cake for a Book-themed baby shower

Some friends at church asked if I'd make a Mad Hatter, Alice in Wonderland, type cake for a baby shower they were putting together. Here are some pictures of the steps I went through to make this cake:

Made the fondant first, colored it, and then did the rim of the hat so that it could sit and dry over night.



I made the cakes from scratch using the Cake Boss', Buddy Valastro, vanilla cake recipe. I also used his butter cream recipe for the frosting that went under the fondant.
Putting parchment on my pans has become a must, especially when I'm working with cakes from scratch.
3, six inch cakes, leveled.
Stacked with butter cream in between each cake and a dowel rod through the middle to keep them in place.
I rolled out the fondant for the top of the hat. This part was a pain.
Covered the cake in butter cream
Then topped it with fondant. This part did not go well. My fondant kept tearing and I'd try and patch it up, eventually just rolled it back out a couple of times but with the same results. I think I may have rolled it too thin but I couldn't make it any thicker because I had used all of the fondant. Next time, I would make a little extra, maybe one a half recipe of the marshmallow fondant. When I saw my cake wrapped in fondant, looking very patched up, I became very frustrated for a few minutes. I was frustrated that I had spent all these hours on this cake and it was not turning out. But then I heard Elisabeth playing on the piano (she's my ten year old daughter) and she began to sing, "My Heavenly Father Loves Me", and I was reminded of that very important truth, and I knew that he would help me succeed. I said a quick prayer of thanks and went right back to work, the creativity beginning to flow once again.


I had colored a little bit of fondant earlier, some for the ribbon and some for those things sticking out of the hat (don't know what they are, but they were on the picture of Mad Hatter with Jonny Depp so I just went for it) so I quickly made up some flowers and after wrapping the ribbon around the base of the cake, I strategically placed the flowers so they would cover most of my patched up mistakes.

I think it turned out pretty well.

Here are some pictures I took at the baby shower. The ladies who put it together did a 'book-theme' based on the mom-to-be's loves/likes in life. They bought various children's books (which they gifted to the mom at the end) and set them up with a food that went with it.

Alice in Wonderland, Mad Hatter cake

Pinkalicious punch
 If you give a mouse a cookie, and chocolate chip cookies
 I loved the fruit caterpillar! I just love fruit, and so did everyone else because it was gone fast!
 Green eggs and ham, or white boiled eggs with green avocado/cilantro filling and bacon on top :)
 Click Clack Moo Cows that type, with cheese and crackers
 carrots and celery with Bunny books
 Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, with coconut macaroons
 Wow, these ladies are impressive and did an amazing job! 

No comments: