Sunday, March 30, 2014

First ever General Women's Meeting

 Last night Elisabeth and I were able to participate in a historic event for our church. They've always had adult women meetings once a year that are broadcast from Salt Lake City, UT all over the world, for all adult women to see, and a broadcast once a year for the teenage girls, but yesterday, for the first time ever, they had a general women's meeting/broadcast for all females ages 8 and up. It was so special being there with Elisabeth. In the beginning of the meeting, sister Wixom, the general Primary president (president for the children) got up and asked all the girls ages 8 to 11 to stand up. Sister Wixom began to hum a primary song and asked the girls to join in singing once they recognized the song. Within humming just a few notes all the girls were singing and then they asked all the women to join in for the second verse(no words to read, all memorized). What a powerful moment, to have all the girls and women singing together "Teach me to walk in the light". Here are the words:

1. Teach me to walk in the light of his love
Teach me to pray to my father above.
Teach me to know of the things that are right.
Teach me, teach me, to walk in the light.

2. Come little child and together we'll learn
Of his commandments that we may return
Home to his presence, to live in his sight
Always, always, to walk in the light.

I felt such a strong sense of sisterhood and love. Love of our Savior, knowing he has not left us alone. He has given us leaders, and specifically a prophet, just as in days of old, to lead and guide us in this life so that we can one day return to Him. I am so grateful for that knowledge. I am so grateful to know that families can be forever and that we have a loving Heavenly Father and a Savior Jesus Christ, who loves us and is in all the details of our lives!

Below is Elisabeth with her good friend Addie; they are holding up papers flowers that were the centerpieces on our tables for the after-meeting-dessert part of our evening. In the center of the flowers it says things like, "General Women's Meeting", and "March 29, 2014", and "for ages 8-98" etc.

1 comment:

Angela said...

I was thinking about you Saturday night when I realized that Elisabeth would be going with you. What a great experience for you both! I'm sure Elisabeth loved out. She's growing up so fast!