Monday, November 4, 2013

Halloween Cake, Halloween Pics and AB's first lost tooth!

Our neighbor Becky throws this huge family-friendly Halloween party each year and invited our family. It was the Saturday before Halloween. She is so organized! The party was huge, around 40 kids and their parents, at her house! We had lots of amazing appetizers(and quite a few healthy-ish choices) and a taco bar. Different families brought different things to contribute; I brought Mexican brown rice and I brought a Halloween cake. The cake is all buttercream. I free-handed the cakes, though I looked at a picture of bats and spiders and practiced making them on paper first because I've learned that if it's ugly on paper, it's most likely going to be ugly on the cake :). I used a ruler on the top of the spider cake to make three straight lines and then connected them to look like spiderwebs.
I let the kids decorate the top of the cake that I cut off; and that's our neighbor Kylie helping out.

Gross! Licking the black frosting out of my decorating bag!
Here are a few pictures I took during the party. Here is Annabelle, our beautiful bride.
I love this bun I did on Annabelle. I put her hair in a ponytail, divided the hair into four pieces (upper, lower, right side and left side) and then rolled each piece into the ponytail and secured the hair with bobbypins.

Annabelle and Kylie putting their hands in this squishy stuff (Orbeez, I think they're called)

Nora just hanging out in the back yard. They did a candy toss too and everyone brought a bag of candy to throw out into the yard.

Here is Elisabeth as Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz...Desi (neighbor and good friend)did a beautiful job on the dress! She ended up not using the night gown we tried to make the dress from because the material wasn't quite right and the print wasn't exactly a Dorothy-look-alike so she used this checkered material below and started from scratch, the little gem! Seriously a fantastic job and something I would be completely incapable of doing. Thanks Des!
Halloween day the kids had parties in their classes and I was able to attend all three. For Annabelle's kindergarten party I brought Jane and Nora along with me. When I went to help in Charles and Elisabeth's party I left them with our friend Ann. Thanks Ann! Here is Jane the fairy!











That night I took Charles, Annabelle and Jane trick-or-treating. Elisabeth wanted to stay home and hand out candy. The kids lasted a good hour before I texted Scott and asked him to come get Jane and Annabelle, both of which wanted me to hold them. Then Charles and I kept going for another half hour.




When we got home the kids went through all their candy, picked out a few favorites (while eating a few), put those in a bag and then Scott took the rest to work. He had a ton to share...let's hope he really does share! :)

Friday night, the day after Halloween, we had our church Halloween Carnival. We changed up the costumes a little for that night because Elisabeth wanted us to enter in the family themed costume contest. So we all dressed up as characters from the Wizard of Oz. I thought the axe I made for Charles was pretty creative and it turned out well. I made it out of a paper towel roll, part of a milk carton box from Costco, tin foil and tape. Here are our characters:
Dorothy- Elisabeth
Tin Man- Charles
Lion- Nora
Scarecrow- Me (elisa)
Glinda the good witch- Annabelle
Witch of the West- Jane (we did not mention the word "wicked" to Jane because she probably wouldn't have agreed to be her if we had)
Oz- Scott

Elisabeth invited a friend from school, Tammy. Tammy and Elisabeth have a lot in common: they're both sweet, little Christian girls (tammy is catholic and her family is from Vietnam), and they both are in the same level of piano. Before the carnival started Elisabeth and Tammy were jamming out on the piano together! :)
 
We wanted to cover our funnel in tin foil for Charles' hat which would have been awesome, but it's still packed up somewhere in a box and after searching through several boxes I ran out of time and just quickly wrapped some tinfoil around his head and secured it with a little tape :). It looked....interesting :).

We surprisingly won the contest! I didn't think we would because besides Elisabeth, Charles and Nora, the rest of our costumes were kind of a stretch with a bunch of random stuff we threw together, and there were some amazing costumes there and lots of people(around 300, though not everyone entered the costume contest). Perhaps we won out of sheer numbers; I mean having 7 characters from one story is pretty cool, even if half of our costumes are unrecognizable unless we're all together.

 Scott made a yummy lasagna for the carnival dinner and I made cupcakes for the cake walk. The winner of the lasagna contest makes hers with cream cheese, so I of course had to try out a cream cheese lasagna this weekend since I didn't get to try hers.  I just mixed 1 c ricotta with 8 oz softened cream cheese, 1/4 c sour cream and 2 eggs, then I used red sauce and mozzarella cheese for the other layers. It was really good and everyone in the family ate a good amount which, knowing our family and the differences in tastes, is not common.



Scott and I ran one of the carnival games: a pumpkin bean bag toss. Some of the other games were bobbing for apples, donut on a string, fishing pond, cake walk, ring toss, toilet paper bowling and more.
 Here is Nora, our cute little lioness!


Annabelle lost her tooth some time during the night and didn't even notice until we were about to leave the carnival! She had no idea where it went or when it fell out that night so we didn't even try to look for it but the tooth fairy still made a visit that night (or perhaps it was early the next morning when the tooth fairy woke up and remembered....who knows!?). And Annabelle of course had to have face paint on her face even though Glinda the good witch does not, because Jane wore face paint the day before when she was dressed up as a fairy. But it's all good!


 

 

3 comments:

Heidi Horne said...

Love that she was a bride! So cute!
And great family costumes! :-D

Vanessa said...

What a fun Halloween! To me, Annabelle looks very much like you, Elisa!

Angela said...

You are making so many wonderful memories for your family. You always make holidays such fun! Have I ever told you that we wish you lived closer to us? :)