Wednesday, July 17, 2013

4th of July

We've gone to our cities parade every year we've been here for about the past 5 years. The past couple of times I've been trying to convince the kids not to go and to do something else instead. Why?  It's hot. It's really hot. And there's tons of people, too much candy and floats that you can't see unless you're standing. But I get too tired standing in the blazing heat so I sit and watch the backs of the children (and adults) as they try and catch laffy taffy. Then my kids take their laffy taffy home, they each pick one or two out and we toss the rest. I know, I'm kinda lame-o sometimes but hey, I'm okay with it :). But as you can see from the pictures, the kids won and we went. The best part was sitting with friends and neighbors. We sat by the Hansen's(Amanda and Aaron) and the Wilcox family (Brian and Maren) and we saw a few others from the neighborhood.


Early on the fourth we went to the carnival our city puts on. I wanted to avoid the crowds and heat which is why we went early and it was the perfect time. My girls just wanted their faces painted and we didn't have to wait in line, we just got right in. Jane looked so cute as they painted her face. She was so still and yet looked so concerned and careful all at the same time.



 Jane, Annabelle and I got butterflys. Mine is red, white and blue!
 Elisabeth got a soccer ball...and then we ran into her soccer coach at the grocery store right after which was fun :).


We got a groupon for $40 of fireworks for $20 so we lit some off in our neighborhood with a few neighbor friends. This is Kim and Saige (Sheryl's daughter). Kim has been a good friend of mine for years. We serve in the primary presidency together right now and our daughters, Elisabeth and Abby are best friends.
 My kids and Kim's kids:
 Scott lighting off the fireworks:
And Sheryl and baby Skylee. Sheryl is my next door neighbor and it has been so wonderful having them next door. Our kids love each other and Sheryl and I are really good friends. We are sure going to miss them!

I'm not sure when we took this picture. I actually don't even remember taking it. Let's just pretend that this was taken on the morning of the fourth and that it goes perfectly with this post! :)
Happy Independence Day! I'm so grateful to live in this country!

No comments: