Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Cemetery of the Prophets

George Albert Smith


Memorial Day we took the kids up to the Salt Lake City cemetery in the Avenues neighborhood of Salt Lake so that we could visit the graves of the many prophets who have been buried there. This should have been on my 'utah to do list' because I've been wanting to do it for quite some time, so I'll just pretend that it was :).

Wilford Woodruff
This was back in the 1800's when they still practiced polygamy so here are his wives:
Joseph Fielding Smith
Joseph F. Smith (and a monument in memory of Hyrum Smith his father and Joseph Smith's Brother)
John Taylor
Heber J. Grant
 Our beloved President Hinckley and his wife Marjorie Pay Hinckley. This was the prophet I grew up knowing and loving and Elisabeth remembers him too even though he passed away 5 years ago.
David O. McKay
Harold B. Lee
Spencer W. Kimball
Howard W. Hunter
 These are the documents we took with us on our drive through the cemetery: pictures of the prophets, a mapped out cemetery so we knew which roads to take to hit them all efficiently, and two pages containing testimonies of the prophets whose graves we were to visit. Many thanks to Jill Kipp who gave me this map all highlighted and marked along with the testimony papers. When we stopped off at a grave site we brought the picture page out so the kids could identify the prophet and then I would read the testimony that went with that prophet. Afterward we went to temple square for some fun at the Art History museum, but more on that later.





1 comment:

jill kipp said...

I'm so glad you got to go! It's one of my very favorite things to do. I sure love your family!