Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Stories about showing our house

Showing our house and keeping it in a state of readiness at all times has been a bit of a challenge, especially with Scott being out of town so much for work. I thought I'd share a couple of stories about those challenges so that I can hopefully look back on it one day and either laugh or just learn something.

The day after we put our house on the market we had a couple agents call and want to show the house. Both showings were at or around dinner time so we decided to eat out at ihop since we didn't want to make a mess in the kitchen. After dinner we went over to a friends house who invited us over to play games which was fun. We got home and went to bed. About an hour and a half later, around midnight, both Scott and I woke up to the sound of a large amount of vomit hitting the hallway carpet just outside our bedroom door.  Charles had thrown up on our beige-ish colored carpet and it was red! I could not believe it! I had never seen red throw up before and low and behold here it was on our carpet during the time we were supposed to be keeping it sparkly clean. We scrubbed that floor 5 times that night(spray with stain remover, allow to stand, scrub, repeated 4 times) before it got looking pretty decent again.

Monday, a couple days later, Scott went to Minnesota for work. I kept the house looking pretty good and even went over to my good friend Elisa's house to borrow her carpet cleaning machine so that I could go over that spot one more time.  While I was out picking it up I got a couple of phone calls from agents asking to see the house that evening. One said sometime between 430-530, the other said between 530- 630. I called back and asked them both to call me 15 minutes before they got there because my kids needed to practice piano etc. They agreed which was nice.

Once the kids got home from school I had them immediately eat a quick snack and start right on piano and homework so we would be ready when the phone call came. Charles and Annabelle were outside playing when I got the phone call and Elisabeth was just finishing up piano so I asked her to quickly finish up and ask the kids to get in the van. I needed to get all the lights on and walk around with my big empty laundry basket and stick random stuff in there (dirty towels, laptop, camera). The kids didn't get in the van and instead were riding their bikes around the driveway with their friends. Then as I'm coming up the stairs I hear the kids yell, "mom they're here!" So I quickly run out of the house and send the neighbor children home and again ask the children to get in the van while I say a quick, 'sorry' to the agent for not being out in time. I get in my van and we pull away and I realize I left the laundry basket full of random things on the couch in the living room! Awesome. Well it was too late to go back and get it.

We ran to the library to return a few things and then we went over to our grocery store to get a couple things we needed and then we went back home. I had about 20 minutes until the next group was supposed to come over and I wasn't about to let the kids back in the house for anything because it was all clean and ready so I just told them to wait out in the van while I grabbed the laundry basket and made up some sandwiches and then we'd bring them to a park and have our dinner there. So that's what we did. While we were at the park we ran into Joy, my first counselor in the primary presidency, and so I visited with her and while we were visiting Annabelle fell off the merry go round and came over to us crying. I tried to pick her up and she cried out in pain.  I put her down and looked closely at her and noticed her faced looked very pale though everything else looked okay. She kept pointing to her collar just inside of her shoulder saying it hurt a lot and then she said she wanted to go home. Even though the fall really didn't look very bad, it was more of a tumble onto the wood chips, I felt something was wrong. So we got back in the car and I rolled down my window and quickly asked Joy if she was going to be around tonight since Scott was in Minnesota, just in case I needed to take Annabelle in to urgent care, and she said yes and that she could come over if I needed her. That she was there was a blessing.

When we pulled up to our house their were still two cars parked outside so I told the kids we would have to wait...Annabelle had been quiet during the car ride home but when she heard that she burst into tears.  I asked Annabelle to move her right arm and to reach for something but she wouldn't, she said it hurt too much. My gaze was directed toward my neighbor, April, who is an ER nurse and since we were already in the van we drove over there and I knocked on her door, and I silently prayed she'd be there. She answered and I asked her if she'd look at Annabelle. After a quick examination she said, "it looks like she broke her clavicle." Say what?! Her collar bone! Oh man, I could not believe it. She said I should take her into urgent care to get an xray and that they'd splint her. Charles stayed with April since her boys are friends with Char and I ran the other girls over to Joy while April swathed Annabelle. That April was there was another blessing.

I took Annabelle into the instacare and after waiting awhile and together watching lots of Mormon Ads on the lds channel on my ipod we were seen and had an xray taken and Annabelle indeed broke her clavicle. They put her in a splint and then did a swathing over that and told us she could have some pain meds (which she refused but I did get her to take some ibuprofen before bed)  and that it would probably take 4-6 weeks to heal and she'd most likely wear the sling for most of that.Here are some pictures of the xray and of Annabelle with her splint at the hospital and then at home this morning.This first one is of Annabelle and I while we were waiting to have the xray taken; she thought it'd be fun to play with my camera and I was totally willing to oblige with just about anything she asked :); this was her swathe by April.
 The xray showed a pretty bad break. You can see on the left in this picture (her right collar/shoulder area) that it's completely apart and a little below where it's supposed to be.

After her appointment she got a sucker which was definitely her highlight of the evening.

 On the way home I asked Annabelle if she'd like something special to eat and she said a hot dog, so we stopped off at the store on the way home and picked up a package of hot dogs. When we got home Jane and Nora were in bed and Joy was up with Charles and Elisabeth. They had all made Annabelle this sign:
 I called two priesthood holders in the neighborhood and they came right over and gave Annabelle a blessing of healing, and me one of comfort. I had talked with my neighbor Sheryl a few minutes before and she stopped by to see Annabelle and bring her a slushy. We have the best neighbors and friends. Even though this was a sad thing that happened, especially when Scott was away, I wept on several occasions because of the great love I felt from so many people around us and especially from a loving Heavenly Father who placed these individuals in our lives and who is always watching over us and who loves all of his children. Truly a blessing.
 Annabelle is still cheerful and happy and she can't wait until she can ride her bike again and play with friends, but until then she's pleased to be able to read so many books with mom on the couch and to be able to watch a movie every day which is unusual in our house :).


April said...

Ooh, poor thing. Annabelle too! ;-) I know it's a drive, but you all are welcome to come to our place when you need an outing!

kelley said...

So many fortunate things to happen at an unfortunate time... What a trouper! You and Annabelle!

Lindsay said...

ahhh Elisa--your life is crazy right now! I'm sure you will look back and read this some time and seriously be amazed you survived all this :) You are amazing.
What a crazy story with Annabelle. I hope she heals quick!
and I am going to give you a call next week (things are crazy for us this memorial day weekend with a family wedding, etc) but next week life will slow down again--and I want to take your kids for a little bit. will Scott be out of town that week?
Good luck with all the showings too--I hope it doesn't take too long for your house to sell. I know how hard it is to keep it in show condition--nearly impossible!!

Gina said...

Yikes! Sounds like fun ;) I told Ben the other day we should buy your house :)

Elisa said...

Thanks April! Linds, Scott will actually be home all week next week (hallelujah!!!), but thank you! His travels will be an every other week thing for the next month or so, I believe. Gina, you should buy our house! Then I won't have to do any more showings! :)

Kierstin said...

OH my goodness!! You are such a trooper and I am so glad you have a good support network around you. Feel free to join us any time you need to be somewhere. You and your kids are welcome here any time. Play at the park, practice piano, whatever. If I can help you don't hesitate to call. We are going to miss you guys! I hope Annabelle is feeling better. She is such a sweet girl.

Elisa said...

Kiersten, thank you! We're going to miss you too! And maybe we'll mosey on over there during our next showing and see if you're around :).

syed Bukhari said...

Wow..these are interesting info related to carpet cleaner, thanks for sharing..

Angela said...

Oh my, what a time you have had. I'm sure you will be glad when you are moved and settled into a house in the Denver area.

I remember having to keep the house kept clean for showing when the kids were little. It's pretty stressful. You seem to be handling it well, so good for you. Just remember to breath:) Poor Annabelle. Kids handle that stuff so much better than adults. I'll be thinking of all of you until this ordeal is over. Love to you all.

The Horne's said...

Oh my what a crazy couple of events!