Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Colorado

I want to give a quick shout-out to my wonderful, amazing mom since it's her birthday today. Happy Birthday Mom! I love you!!! Now onto the post....

Scott went to Minnesota last week for a couple of days. Here is the note Charles gave him when he got home. It says, " I love you and mist you at Minnesota" :). Notice the picture of the airplane with the pilot and the "P" above him and Scott or Daddy with the "D" above him :).  But I'm jumping ahead of myself, so let me go back a little further in time.

In August of this past year Scott's company finished their I-15 project. Since then they've been relocating employees and/or just rolling them off the payroll. They closed up the office Scott was working at in Thanksgiving Point and moved some employees up to the SLC office; Scott was fortunate to be one of them. This made his commute much longer and he was gone from home almost two hours longer than he used to be, which was a sad thing for our family but at the same time we were grateful Scott had a job here. Scott's original roll-off date was in October. We prayed that the Lord would take care of us and help us find work either within the company here or near our families (NC and WA) and then we put that faith into action and we went to work, updating Scott's resume and sending it out to civil engineering firms with job openings in the previously mentioned locations. He sent his resume to over 40 firms.

In the meantime, his firm was able to get a few small jobs here and there that would extend work for a month or two, but nothing big enough to bring us a feeling of security. We heard back from about a third of the companies where Scott had sent his resume, but with no good news. At that point in time our prayers started to change and instead of telling the Lord where we wanted to go, we asked the Lord where He would like us to go and said we'll go where you want us to go and love and serve the people wherever that may be. Since we didn't receive any other job offers and we were able to get a little work here and there, we thought that perhaps the Lord was wanting us to stay in Utah for now.
Fast forward to about a month and a half ago.  A former co-worker talked with Scott about a job opportunity in Denver and even spoke with the owner about Scott. Scott and I continued to pray through this all for guidance and direction. We both felt like if we could stay in Utah with an assurance we'd have work, we would because we live in such a good, safe, peaceful area and we have good friends. But we didn't have that assurance. At the same time I was feeling a little nervous  about relocating because we know what it's like raising kids here and we don't have much experience elsewhere... kind of a fear of the unknown I suppose.We prayed that during general conference we would get some answers. And then Elder Ellis of the 70 spoke, and he talked about raising families in different areas and he said that 'how we raise them is more important than where we raise them' and I had a warm, peaceful feeling come over me.
So a couple of weeks ago Scott went out to Minnesota to meet the owner and some other employees and he was offered a management position near Denver, which is a promotion. We thought everything through logically and it makes sense, and it just feels right; we are sad but excited at the same time.  I only wish I could've had more time in my calling in church as Primary President because I loved it. We know the Lord's hand is in this; It's on His timetable and has been throughout these many months and we trust that He will take care of the details of our lives if we are obedient.
Scott will start working for them May 20th, and for a month or two he will be traveling back and forth, 5 days there (or in Minnesota) and then the next week working from home. Once we get to July he'll stay in Colorado and we'll move the family then because the kids get out of school July 1st and we wanted them to finish out the year here. Next week our house will go on the market(I think) which means we are super busy getting everything organized, de-cluttered and looking sparkly clean!

15 comments:

Lani said...

Hi Elisa,
Congrats to Scott on the new job! Colorado is a beautiful place, and there are lots of great family-friendly suburbs around Denver. We live in Colorado Springs right now (about 50 miles south of Denver) but are moving to New Jersey at the end of this month (my husband is in the Air Force and we move every 2-3 years). There are over 300 days with sunshine, great schools, and lots of fun things to see, do, explore. Moving is always hard, but I think you and your family will enjoy the area. Best wishes!
-Lani (Robin's sister)

Elisa said...

Thanks Lani for your comment. From what I've read, you're right on about it being a very family-friendly area which I'm excited about. Good luck with your move to NJ!

Gina said...

Oh, yeah he'll have a job. But so sad you're leaving us :(

Elisa said...

Gina, me too! Over these past, almost 6 years we've made (and kept, like you guys!!) lots of good friends that have become more like family. That's always the hardest part with moving, or at least for me.

berrymom said...

What a scary and exciting thing for you. My sister lives near Denver and she loves it. If it works out, we would love for you to stop at our house for a potty break (or an overnight stay) in GJ. It is about halfway between you and Denver and right off I-70.

Elisa said...

Thanks Jen! That would be so fun to see you and your family! I'll let you know as it gets closer, but I would love that.

Shayla Taylor said...

How exciting for you! Good luck with your new home! You will be such a great blessing to your ward in CO!

Casey said...

Congrats! My sister-in-law lives in Colorado and loves it. I think there is a big LDS community there and I bet you'll love it.

Oh and I have the same crocs and love them!

MarieC said...

Colorado is lucky to be getting your family! I hope you love it. We REALLY wish you were coming back to Washington, though. Our poor little Bellevue 2nd Ward is shrinking and shrinking. We're technically a branch. :-(

Angela said...

I think Scott was telling Charlie about how many times we moved with our children. I think it is a total of 4 or 5. It's difficult to leave good friends, and exhausting to move,but I have always thought of moving as an adventure! Finding a new house, meeting and making new friends. You are so outgoing and loving and your children are so cute, so you will have a support group in no time. We are so excited for you!

Katie said...

Congrats on the job! Good luck with the move.

Elisa said...

Thank you, thank you, all of you, for your love and supportive comments. I am at this moment so overwhelmed with the move and getting the house ready while trying to take care of our five children...I never knew how exhausting it could be! But your comments have lifted my spirits! You are all wonderful!

The Horne's said...

Wow Elisa, this is HUGE! I have heard many many great things about Colorado, including that there are many places that are quite conservative. I think you'll enjoy it. But wow, yes, a move from familiar, community, friends...the known.
I will pray for continued peace. It's always great when things are aligned by God, because even in the midst of chaos and some uncertainty, it's peaceful, and feels right. Praying that for you guys.

The Horne's said...

Wow Elisa, this is HUGE! I have heard many many great things about Colorado, including that there are many places that are quite conservative. I think you'll enjoy it. But wow, yes, a move from familiar, community, friends...the known.
I will pray for continued peace. It's always great when things are aligned by God, because even in the midst of chaos and some uncertainty, it's peaceful, and feels right. Praying that for you guys.

April said...

Oh wow! Congrats! With all the craziness we never got together much the past year, but we'll miss having you near anyway! You guys are such a wonderful family. No doubt the Lord has a perfect place for you to be blessed and be a blessing!