Monday, January 14, 2013

Dislocated Elbow From Church Ball


Saturday night Charles wanted to redeem his 'bedtime pass' and watch a movie with Mom and Dad. Scott had 2 back-to-back basketball games at the church, 8 and 9pm, so Charles and I started our movie night without him.

Around 930pm I got a phone call from my neighbor saying that Scott had gotten hurt and her kids had just run home to tell her with instructions to call me. I called Scott's cell and he answered after several rings. He said the paramedics were coming over to help. I quickly got off, called my neighbor back to fill her in and then she asked if she could come over and stay with the kids(all of who were sleeping, minus Charles) so I could be with Scott. I threw on some jeans and a jacket, grabbed my purse and jogged over to the church(as a side note, it was 5 degrees outside). When I got to the gym, Scott was still lying on the floor, the paramedics surrounding him. His elbow looked funny and was hurting a lot so they gave him some morphine and then put him in their ambulance and brought him over to a hospital near by. The story is that he was going for the ball, fell, and caught himself wrong.

I followed the ambulance over in Scott's truck since it was parked at the church. Once there, we were put in a room and had to wait for someone to come in and take an X-ray. Then we waited for them to read it and get back to us. They confirmed the dislocation and to our relief, nothing was broken.

As the doctor put it, " it looks like the ice cream fell out of it's cone". They sedated him (because the doctor said he didn't want Scott to punch him in the face :)) and then in about 10 seconds it was fixed. I watched as the doctor held the upper arm and manipulated/turned/pushed the lower part in such a way that everything locked back together again. Kind of interesting to see and it reminded me of when Annabelle dislocated her elbow and our pediatric doctor twisted it back into place. After that, the pain in Scott's arm was much better. We waited again and then they took another X-ray and found everything to be in order. They wrapped Scott's arm, put it in a sling and sent us on our way, about 3 and 1/2 hours after we had arrived. There was a lot of waiting time. I'm grateful to our neighbor Sheryl, who stayed with our kids early into the morning. Scott is not supposed to lift anything heavy (including baby Nora) for a week or so and he's supposed to go in to see an orthopedic surgeon at the end of this week just to make sure everything is still good and that there was no ligament damage. Doc also commented (kind of jokingly, but kind of not) that he thought men should be done with church ball once they reach the age of 30. I think I'm going to have to take his side on this one. We'll be praying for a speedy recovery. 

4 comments:

Fred said...

My vote is that men should be done with church ball when they turn 60!

Fred said...

I am glad that nothing is broken, hope you have a speedy recovery Scott.

scott said...

Thanks for your vote Fred! And just to clarify, I did not "fall", I intentionally dove for a loose ball and landed wrong. I'll be fine!

scott said...

Thanks for your vote Fred! And just to clarify, I did not "fall", I intentionally dove for a loose ball and landed wrong. I'll be fine!