Friday, January 18, 2013

Cello

I know it's not Monday or Wednesday, but honestly, I think I'm going to need to post Fridays too because there is just too much going on around here all the time for me to cover it in two posts a week. That being said, no judging if I miss a Friday here and there :).

Elisabeth started playing the cello a couple of weeks ago! Her school provides an orchestra class per semester for a small fee once you reach third grade and she really wanted to do it and so we're giving it a try. She could have started last semester in the Fall but when I told her she would have to wake up early for orchestra practice twice a week, plus wake up early every day to practice cello before school so she'd have time to practice piano after school and do homework she decided to pass. But now she's determined. And I'm glad we waited because now she really knows what she wants and she's very responsible about it. I don't even have to wake her up or ask her to practice. She sets her alarm, gets up and ready and practices on her own. I know it's only been a couple of weeks but I think it'll keep because she's been responsible about piano for the past two years. Many times Charles and Elisabeth practice an instrument at the same time.

Having a piano background has helped her pick up cello pretty quick. She knows all the notes and so reading the bass clef for cello has been easy. We started her with a 1/4 size cello(we rent it) but last week we moved her up to the 1/2 size because she was in between sizes when they sized her and this just seemed like a better fit...and Scott and I can practice more comfortably on the 1/2 :)...and I'm not even kidding. Scott played viola for a little while so he knows some and I've just always wanted to and can read notes somewhat so Elisabeth comes home from her lesson and teaches me what she knows. It's so fun! Right now she can play Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star and Jingle Bells :). Can't wait to hear what she'll be playing a year from now. Soon we'll have a Jon Schmidt and a Steven Sharp Nelson in our home :). If you have no idea who I'm referring to, watch these videos. And better yet, have your kids watch them and they too will want to learn to play. They have tons of videos on their website pianoguys.com and you can search them on youtube. Here are a couple popular ones:

Cello Wars (star wars parody)


Coldplay - Paradise(Peponi)


Love Story meets Viva la Vida (this is an older one so the video isn't as fancy as the newer ones)

No comments: