Wednesday, October 3, 2012

5 months post-baby, with baby number 5

I am having a hard time believing that my little baby Nora is already 5 months! In fact, I think I'm in denial. I just want her to stay my baby forever! I am loving every second I have with this precious little babe!
 'Norita Bonita' stealing my food (baked wheat tortilla wedge)

The reason for this post is to do a little evaluation, or an accountability check on how I've been doing health-wise since baby Nora was born 5 months ago.

First off, I'd like to say that losing weight hasn't ever come easy for me. I was a little chubbier in high school than I am now, and I had a really hard time getting that weight off even though I was always active(I was involved in soccer into my teens, and then dance and cheer leading in high school). Granted, I did eat fast food several times a week. Whoops! Once I got married and we started having kids, I walked an hour each day with some girlfriends while pushing our strollers, plus I was walking around BYU campus all day and I almost never ate out, not because I was trying to be healthy but because we didn't have money to! So I was able to lose baby weight pretty easily with baby number one and two and got down to a size smaller than I'd been in years, and even before high school.

When baby number three came along(Annabelle) we were living in a house and I was now driving my van around everywhere as opposed to walking all over campus, but I continued to exercise around the house. Unfortunately, I didn't ever lose the last ten pounds of baby weight after Annabelle. When we got pregnant with baby number four (Jane), I decided that when she was born I was not only going to exercise but I was going to eat healthier too. That's when I learned about and started making green smoothies and that's when I began my crazy and wonderful journey of eating real foods rather than the packaged and boxed stuff and nasty fast foods. So after we had Jane, and I was eating right and exercising, I was able to lose all the baby weight I had gained from that pregnancy, plus the ten I held onto with Annabelle. Hallelujah!

I exercised and ate pretty good throughout this last pregnancy as well. But I'm not gonna lie, I did have a treat just about every week though many times the treat was something a little more wholesome that had some redeeming qualities like whole wheat flour :), or something like that. Other than those treats, I ate lots of whole, real foods. I drank my green smoothies every day(accept when I was throwing up and really sick for a couple of months because I couldn't stomach anything). I had salad and veggies every day. I made and ate lots of brown rice and black and pinto beans. I snacked on nuts like pistachios and almonds and cashews. I ate greek yogurt with fruit and home made granola for breakfast. I also exercised 5-6 days a week, about 45 minutes at a time, usually walking three miles a day, though sometimes I'd do the elliptical or an exercise video. At the time I delivered Nora, baby number 5, I had gained 37 lbs during that pregnancy which was pretty good for me...typically I gain around 50.


After I birthed Nora and when I came home two days later, I was shocked to see I'd only gone down 4 lbs on my scale. What!? Nora weighed 7 lbs, I should have at least lost that much, right? No such luck. Over the next three weeks, I lost 20 lbs which is more typical. For exercise, I started out by walking right away. Through the first couple of weeks after the baby was born I was able to increase my walking time and pace. Over the next couple of months I worked a lot harder at exercising more,jogging, speed walking or exercise videos, and continued to eat well. As a quick side note, Jillian Michaels and Bob Harper do my favorite exercise videos right now. They both are personal trainers from "biggest loser" the TV show. I check their dvd's out from our library.  Sometimes I think Bob Harper is going to kill me! I really like his Ultimate Cardio Body dvd(60 min w/weights).  My favorite Jillian Michaels dvd is 30 Day Shred (20 min w/weights), Banish Fat Boost Metabolism(40 min, no weights), and No More Trouble Zones(60 min? w/weights). Anyway, back to my story.  I lost several more pounds but once I got to about 3 months, my weight hit a plateau for awhile (for about a month and a half) even though I still had ten pounds to go. During the first two months after Nora was born, I was exercising about 1 1/2-2 hours every day, but I couldn't go that long any more. I just don't have the time to do that. So I cut back to doing 30-60 minutes a day but those 30-60 minutes were more intense, and again, all the while eating mostly whole foods. I exercise either before the kids get up around 615am or I'll exercise once the oldest two have left for school; in that case I do a dvd or the elliptical. I'll get on the scale once or twice a week to check my progress and this past week I noticed I went down four more pounds; it was nice to see that my diligence was starting to pay off. It seems to me that I lose weight in spurts: exercising for weeks and months (all the while eating well) and not losing anything, then all of a sudden, I'm down several pounds. I still have about 6 pounds to go but I think they'll come off on their own if I continue to eat right and exercise each day. I like to exercise and eat whole foods. I've done both of those things long enough to know what a blessing they are in my life. I have so much more energy and I feel so much better emotionally and physically when I'm doing both of those things, AND I can keep up with my 5 kids which is such a blessing!

*I know I posted this picture already about a month ago, but this is the most recent one I have of me and baby Nora, besides the one above where you can't really see either one of us very well :). I'll try to get a better picture soon. 

No comments: