Tuesday, September 4, 2012

In the Garden

When we got back from our trip to Washington and Yellowstone, we found lots of yummy things ripe and ready to eat from the garden! Roma tomatoes, big mild chili peppers, lots of onions, raspberries, chard, and peaches! We cut down the peach tree that was here when we moved in a couple of years back because it was infested with nasty bugs. At the same time, we planted a new peach tree because I absolutely loved being able to walk in the back yard and pull a peach off the tree to eat. It usually takes a couple of years, once planted, for a peach tree to start producing fruit, and so this was our first year having peaches from this tree! We probably got around 50. We had several very large peaches and then the rest were medium to small sized, and all of them so juicy and sweet! Different peaches ripened at different times so we had fresh peaches over a period of a couple of weeks which was nice, and not enough all at one time to can, which I was kinda grateful for. Canning is not my favorite thing.
 We had quite a few Roma tomatoes this year and I've been able to make fresh salsa a couple of times. Salsa and tortilla chips is my one weakness! Okay, I actually have many weaknesses but I've been wanting to copy that line from, "Lark Rise to Candelford" a BBC show Scott and I have been watching on dvd(on our portable player, I'd like to add,  because our last free TV we got broke after a month.). Anyway, one of the main characters, Ms Lane, will claim a new weakness with each episode, "fruit cake is my one weakness" or "a late night snack is my one weakness", or "the smell of lilacs.." and so on. I love her character! But chips and salsa truly is a weakness of mine. Alright, back to the garden!

As for the rest of the Romas, I blanched them (boiled in hot water for 30 seconds which loosens the skin so I can take it off easy), pureed them in the blender, pureed a few onions and a sweet pepper as well, added some seasonings(minced garlic, oregano, parsley, basil and salt) and stuck them in the crockpot for several hours making spaghetti sauce. We had some for dinner that night and then I froze several 3-cup bags for later use. If you want the full recipe with picture tutorial,  you can find it on my other blog here.
 Usually the raspberries don't make it in the house because the kids just pick and eat as they go, but I actually got a few one day when Charles and Jane came in with a bowl full. So yummy! I love gardens! And they are another living testimony to me of the power and goodness of our Heavenly Father, the creator of earth and of us. To think that this tiny seed could grow into something so big and produce food by just giving it some soil, water and sun, is absolutely amazing.


2 comments:

Paul Mosley said...

What a beautiful post. I love how frugal and positive you are about the wonderful blessings that you have been blessed with. We are still using our one free t.v. We'll have to figure out how to grow a garden in the Arizona desert. It's going to be a fun challenge. You're children are beautiful and wonderful. Only if there could be more families like yours in this world, then the city of Enoch would return.

Elisa said...

Thank you! And good luck with your AZ garden. I have a friend there who has a garden, so I'm sure you could do it!