Monday, September 24, 2012

Carrot Cake and a Fall Cake








I don't know why this picture is sideways and I don't want to take the time to figure it out.  A few weeks ago Elisabeth's school had their annual Fall Festival. It's always a huge success but largely due to the amount of volunteers who help at the event or provide cakes and goodies to sell and to give to the cake walk. I always bring a cake or two or three. The week of this event was really, really busy at my house and I wasn't sure if I'd get a cake done but I did, though it wasn't really anything fancy. I just traced a picture of a leaf off of my computer and onto a piece of parchment paper. Then I cut out the parchment paper and gently pressed it into the frosted cake, all over the top and sides, and then I filled them in with the star tip 21 and some fall colored frosting.

 I cut off the tops of the 2, 9 inch cakes before I stacked them and the kids asked if we could frost and eat those at our house for later. Since I had frosting left I agreed to do that and decorated it with a bunch of scrolls using the same star tip 21.
 A friend of mine from church and book club had a birthday last week. We had been talking a couple of weeks before and she mentioned that she loved carrot cake. And not just any carrot cake but the kind with nuts, pineapple, raisins, coconut and shredded carrots. So I found a recipe online, made the cake from scratch (which I don't normally do when I'm decorating but sometimes I'm up for a challenge or just something new and different) and then frosted it with a cream cheese frosting for her birthday.
 There was enough cake batter and frosting left over from this particular recipe to make another 6 inch cake so I did that and gave it to another friend who loves carrot cake(we frosted and ate the top, once again. I don't mind doing that because it's not a lot, which I don't want,  but it's enough to make the family happy). It was awfully good but if there is anyone out there who thinks carrot cake is healthy, let me reassure you that it is most definitely not. Loads of refined sugar, white flour, plus the frosting has a whole stick of cream cheese, plus butter and powdered sugar. Though I might make this again for our family sometime and substitute wheat flour and a raw sugar...though there's really no way around the frosting...maybe for my birthday :).  Here's the recipe I used, for anyone interested.





Vanilla cream cheese frosting (frosts and enough to decorate a nine inch stacked cake and a 6 inch staked cake)

8 Tbs of butter (1 stick), room temperature
8 ounces of cream cheese (1/2 block), room temperature
5 cups powdered sugar (6 1/2 c when decorating)
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp almond extract
1 tbs of meringue powder
Blend butter and cream cheese together until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and meringue powder. Add powdered sugar a half cup at a time. Add milk a Tbsp at a time if frosting is too thick.

Carrot Cake

3 eggs
3/4 cup buttermilk (or 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice and enough milk added to it to make 3/4c; let stand 5min to sour)
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 cups shredded carrots
1 cup flaked coconut
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple with juice
1 cup raisins
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour an 8x12 inch pan or 2, 9 inch pans and a six inch pan. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Set aside. In a large bowl, combine eggs, buttermilk, oil, sugar and vanilla. Mix well. Add flour mixture and mix well. In a medium bowl, combine shredded carrots, coconut, walnuts, pineapple and raisins. Using a large wooden spoon or a very heavy whisk, add carrot mixture to batter and fold in well.
Pour into prepared 8x12 inch pan, and bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 1 hour. If cooking 9 inch and 6 inch pans, check for doneness after 25 minutes. Check with toothpick.
Allow to cool for at least 20 minutes before serving. Can make a day ahead and refrigerate.







1 comment:

The Horne's said...

That fall cake is beautiful!! love love love it!