Monday, August 27, 2012

2012 Family Reunion

 Friday afternoon we arrived in the tri-cities. Friday night we stayed with my brother Fred, his wife Robin and their family.
 All the big kids shared a room together. The girls slept on a mattress on the floor and the boys took the bunk bed. They had so much fun chatting with one another that they had a hard time falling asleep. Around 1030pm I went up and told them I would stand in the room and wait patiently until they all fell asleep and that there was to be no more talking until the morning. They were so tired that I only had to wait maybe 5 minutes. Most of them were asleep within two minutes. 
 Saturday we went over to a community center my Aunt had rented for us, and we spent the afternoon together. Different families were assigned various food assignments and we all ate lunch together. Below is a picture of my mom and four of her five siblings. Jill, the youngest, arrived a little later.
L to R: Rojean, Nello, Fred, Charmaine and Jolene
Nello's family minus my cousin Julia

Fred's family

Charmaine's family minus my cousin Celeste

Jolene's family minus Brian and his wife Kalia
 My cousin Aunna and I came up with a few activities for the kids to do Saturday after lunch. She made lots of play dough and gave some to each child and brought cutters and rolling pins for them to play with.


 I brought stuff for the kids to make fruit loop necklaces and marshmallow shooters.
fruit loops on floss was pretty easy for all ages

The marshmallow shooters were a fun outdoor activity. All you need to make these are disposable cups(not the tiny ones and not the huge ones like those red ones they sell at Costco, just medium sized.), normal shaped/sized balloons and mini marshmallows. You double up a cup and cut about an inch of the bottom. Then tie a knot in the balloon without blowing it up and cut off maybe 1/2 inch of the opposite end(the rounded end). Then you pull the open end of the balloon over the lip/rimmed side of the cup and you've got your shooter.
 
Corbin with his marshmallow shooter


trying to get the marshmallows to land in the circles we made with chalk


Nora was the only baby (I think) and so she was very loved. She brought so much joy to so many people which I loved seeing.
My aunt Charmaine and her best friend Bob; Bob loves babies


Me and my aunt Jill

 We finished up reunion activities for the day around 5pm and went over to the hotel to swim for awhile before dinner.
Robin(my sis-in-law) is expecting and due anytime

At a buffet for dinner with my mom, Fred, Becca and our families
 After dinner Scott went back to our hotel room with Nora and Jane and put them to bed. I took the older three to the pool again and they swam for a while with their cousins. Afterward, Elisabeth spent the night with Granny in her room and me, Char and Annabelle returned to ours for showers and bed.

Sunday morning we attended my aunt Jill's ward for sacrament meeting. Mark and Jill were the speakers for the day which was nice. After church we went over to Jeff and Jolene's for the last part of the reunion: lunch and a talent show.
My Aunt Jolene and Nora

Elisabeth on Jeff and Jolene's tree swing. Beautiful scenery!


Me and my two sisters, Pepa and Becca
 We ended the reunion with a talent show. Most of the talents were done by the children and so many of them are gifted pianists! This was neat to see because my grandfather on that side, Grandpa Fred, was an amazing pianist and music writer and did piano as a living. I'm sure he was there in spirit, watching, proud.
Mom playing her father's accordion before giving it away


Here's a short, 1 minute video clip of Elisabeth playing a song on the piano for the talent show. I wish I could have gotten Char on camera as well, but he volunteered to be one of the first and I didn't get my camera out in time. I'll take a video of him playing sometime soon and put it on here.



After the talent show, we took off to Boise and stayed the night with some old friends from BYU before finishing our journey home in the morning. Scott and Eric were roommates for a couple of years at BYU and when I met Scott, Eric and Katie started dating and we both got engaged at the same time and married around a month a part. We hadn't seen them in probably 7-8 years so it was fun to catch up. We each had five kids, practically same ages as well. In the van on our way to their house, Elisabeth laid on the floor for awhile to rest and not too soon after threw up from being car sick and eating junk! I told her not to eat so much junk at the reunion but she didn't listen...when she eats junk, this is not an unusual thing to have happen, and even at home when she's not in a car. Charlie made a tent out of his blanket and stayed in that for hours.


Scott and Eric
If I had to pick a favorite thing about our trip, it would be the people. I got to spend time with and talk with so many friends and family members. We had a very nice trip and now we're back, Elisabeth and Charles are in school all day (glory! to hear no screeching during the day because brothers love to tease sisters, is seriously glorious!) and normalcy has prevailed. I even baked up some more granola yesterday and 4 loaves of wheat bread today, all the while keeping the house fairly clean and people fed...yes, I'd say we're back to our routine.

1 comment:

Hattori said...

super nice Elisa!