Saturday, June 9, 2012

6 weeks and working hard

Nora is 6 weeks today and we're finally back in the swing of things. The house is clean, for the most part, and I'm able to stay on top of laundry again. But wow, there's always so much laundry! Especially since we have a newborn who occasionally(read: daily) has blow outs and spits up on herself and a 2-year-old who can't quite make it to the toilet when she's playing outside, and who tends to poop more in her underwear than in the toilet. The other day Jane woke up dry(yay!) and went potty in the toilet. I took off her diaper, but Nora was fast asleep in the room where we keep Jane's clothes. So I just had her hang out in her pj's without underwear for a little while. BIG mistake! She pooped in her pants and because there was no underwear to catch it, it went all down both sides of her legs and her pj pants were so nasty. I gagged several times as I cleaned her up and washed out her pajama pants.

I started cooking again about a week after Nora was born. Feeding your family healthy, wholesome meals takes a little more time than throwing a plastic covered frozen meal in the microwave and pushing a button, or in the oven for that matter. I grind my own wheat, which is not at all hard, but when I grind 10 cups of wheat to make bread, it takes some time and it's kinda loud, so I need to plan ahead and be sure to get it done before babies are napping. I love having homemade bread on hand for the kids to make sandwiches for school. I love having home made wheat tortillas for dinner; they taste SO much better than the whole wheat store bought ones. I love that the kids love to eat my home made granola for breakfast each morning which doesn't have any additives, that's full of protein and all sorts of vitamins and minerals. I love eating salads and making my own salad dressings . I love that we all drink green smoothies almost daily. I like to cook and I love feeding my family real food, but it does take work and time, like just about anything good in life. I don't spend all day in the kitchen, but I probably spend 1-2 hours in there most days, making meals and cleaning up.   

Another thing I've been working hard on, which goes hand in hand with the food I put in my body, is exercising. I know that my food choices and exercise combined, will determine whether or not I get back into shape again. I eased my way back into exercising after this past 5th birth, but started right away. What does that mean, you ask? I listened to my body and did what felt appropriate. While at the hospital, I walked laps around the maternity wing. They were really slow laps and not really for exercise but more for my own sanity. I had been laying in bed, unable to move for hours because of the epidural and when I could move my legs again, I wanted to get out and so I did. The movement helped my legs and back feel better. The day I got home from the hospital I took a short walk around the neighborhood while pushing the baby in the stroller. Each day after that for the next two weeks, I was able to go farther and faster. I did tear and have a few stitches while giving birth, but after a few days I really didn't experience any more soreness.

Once I got to week three I started jogging off and on throughout my walk and could do the elliptical. Since week four I've been able to jog over three miles at a time and do exercise videos like Tae Bo, Zumba or Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. At week five I was able to exercise a couple of times a day for a total of about one and half hours to two hours a day. I won't exercise this much forever, but I will while I'm trying to get big results. Right now, I wake up before the kids and jog and then while a couple of the kids are at school and the baby is asleep, I'll exercise in the house. Many times Jane and Annabelle will join me in my home workout videos. Has it been hard? Sure, exercising isn't supposed to be easy. Did it hurt? The only pain I experienced was from sore muscles after a hard workout, but nothing that felt related to labor/delivery. But like I said earlier, I listened to my body. If I was ever doing an exercise or stretch that didn't feel good, I stopped or at least modified. I know it'll take time and diligence to get back to where I was before. It took nine months to put it all on and it could take just as long to get it back. But I've done this enough times to know that you can get it back if you work hard and are persistent. I'm not one of those blessed women who are naturally small and can eat anything and everything and never exercise and stay tiny. I'm also not the type of woman who will have a baby and the next week look like I had never been pregnant. I have to eat right and exercise. If you were to see pictures of me in high school, you'd know this statement is true because I ate a lot of fast food then and was addicted to sweet sugary treats and Doritos and you could tell. I wasn't obese, but I was a little overweight.  I could put a picture on here to show you all, but I'm kinda vain. Though who knows, maybe one day I will. Maybe :). This time around I've also found that it is easier to get back in shape when you don't gain as much in the pregnancy. And you know, in previous pregnancies I never 'let myself go' as some say. I always exercised. But this was the first pregnancy that I also ate healthy throughout the pregnancy and I gained 10-15 pounds less than previous ones, too, which was nice.

Why am I sharing all this? I'm trying to give you a glimpse into life right now and I want to have a record for the future. I am a mother of five. I do a lot of cooking and cleaning, playing and working with kids and running kids to and from different places. I don't get much time to myself and so when I do, I really try and use it wisely. My free time right now(or time when kids are asleep) goes to exercising to keep my body healthy, visiting with Scott, reading scriptures and other inspirational material, keeping a record of our lives(this blog and a journal), and food(making, planning, reading recipes, sharing ideas etc) because that's my hobby and I'm obsessed :). I seriously love food. Thinking about things like Cafe Rio, makes me all giddy inside. For example, the other night when Scott and I were visiting on the couch, he suggested Cafe Rio as an in-home date night activity once the kids were in bed and I literally jumped into his lap. Food makes me really happy, and so does Scott, so it is the perfect combination. Anyway, I think that's all for now. Sorry there are no pictures for this post. As I looked through my camera to find a picture to go on here, I found that the majority of my pictures were of food which will go on my other blog, so sorry. But see, that just proves I have an obsession :). At least it's with pretty healthy foods, right?

3 comments:

The Horne's said...

So you gainedn 35 lbs? 40 lbs? And how much are you down now? :-D

The Clarks said...

Seriously amazing Elisa! Good job! I am totally on the same wave length with you on the whole food obsession. It is so thrilling to me! I love it! I'm amazed you can keep it all up with all your kids! I have a hard enough time with just one! :)

Elisa said...

I gained 37 and I'm down 22....so I still have 15 to go.