Thursday, May 17, 2012

Real Foods Mom Blog

I now have my 'real foods mom' website up and running with several recipes/picture tutorials. Here is the website: http://realfoodsmom.wordpress.com/  

The other night I was talking with my mom and Scott and we were remembering when, about 4 years ago, the foods we fed our family were drastically different than what they are now. Most of our foods were not fresh and came packaged. Some common staple foods found in our fridge, pantry and freezer were: fishy crackers, hot dogs, Jif peanut butter, Dino Buddies(chicken nuggets), peanut butter crackers(the prepackaged kind with all the additives), and we went through a lot more white flour and white sugar then. In fact, I remember baking some sort of sugary treat every week. And so it's really not very surprising that our family was sick a lot during that time, too.

I would cook all different meals for dinner, but Elisabeth our oldest child and about 4-years-old, refused to try them and would only eat Dino Buddies. Scott suggested several times, that I stop buying Dino Buddies so that she'd try something else. At first I was hesitant because we make little children (our kids are always in the lowest percentiles at their doctor's visits) and I was afraid she would starve. I literally thought that if she didn't have Dino Buddies, she wouldn't eat anything. But I finally agreed and we stopped buying Dino Buddies. And you know what happened? At first she cried and whined and it was hard, but she got hungry enough that she started to try new things. I agree with Joel Fuhrman, the author of "Disease-Proof Your Child" when he said, "The trick is to adhere to this one most important rule: only permit healthy food in your home. Children will eat whatever is available. They will not starve themselves to death; they adapt easily and learn relatively quickly to like the food that is offered."

Because Elisabeth was older when we started introducing more whole and real foods, she was, and still is, our most challenging child when it comes to trying new things. But once she's tried the same food about 10-15 different times, she generally doesn't hate it anymore and many times she'll actually like it :). Through my, 'Real Foods Mom' blog, I will share real food recipes we've come up with that our family loves. My goal for now, since we have a newborn at home, is to post one recipe a week. Hopefully I'll be able to do more than that soon. I also hope to get comments from readers who are willing to share some of their favorite real food recipes and also any tips and advice they might have concerning whole foods.

1 comment:

Vanessa said...

I'm excited to read this new blog, not to mention completely impressed with all you do with managing 5 children and blogging so much, and everything else that goes on behind the scenes!