Thursday, May 3, 2012

Off dairy while nursing, again

 The kids last day of school before going off track for three weeks was Friday, the day Nora was born. They are loving it! And I'm happy they are getting so much time to love on her right now because newborns only stay this little for a short time and when they're in school, they're so busy that they don't have much free time. The picture above is something we see a lot of. One person holding baby Nora while the others sit and wait for their turn.The other day Elisabeth got on the bed with Nora and I who had just been taking naps, Elisabeth held Nora and asked for the Friend Magazine which she sat and read with Nora in her arms for the next 30 minutes. It was so sweet to see and sometimes I feel like I'm raising a little grown up when it comes to Elisabeth. She was able to prepare for her family home evening lesson during that time which we had later that night.


 Nora, like a couple of her other sisters, spits up a lot. Elisabeth seemed to be the worst but I think it was more because she was our first and I didn't know what I was doing. Elisabeth would projectile vomit after most of her feedings. She was always crying, always upset, always having gas and spitting up. But now, looking back, I think I just didn't realize that she was sensitive to dairy. How are you supposed to know that when it's your first child? I just thought all babies were like this.

Then I had Charles who didn't have any major problems with spitting up or gas or crying all the time and I realized Elisabeth must have been special. Then Annabelle came along and she would spit up and cry more like Elisabeth. So I did some research.

I found out that a huge percentage of babies have diary sensitivities that they eventually grow out of which makes sense since babies aren't allowed to drink cows milk until they are one. Also, if you're nursing, some of that dairy goes through to baby. So I decided to cut out dairy since babies only nourishment was my breast milk. I was able to slowly add in a few dairy items likes yogurt and a little cheese, but milk, ice cream and sour cream were the big culprits. Then when I had Jane, the same thing happened so for several months I just went off dairy completely. And now, we're doing it again with Miss Nora, and we'll try it for a few weeks and see if there's a difference. If there is, I'll continue without dairy for at least several months before we try a little again. And if there's not much of a difference after these first few weeks, then I'll allow myself to have a little again. When we first started doing it with Annabelle I thought to myself, 'what in the world am I supposed to eat and feed my family if I can't have dairy?' because we ate cheese daily and quite a few meals had some sort of cream of something inside. But now I actually don't mind. We've come  up with lots of menu options over the years that I love that don't have any dairy and we eat those meals regularly, so this time around, it hasn't been much of an adjustment.



No comments: