Saturday, April 28, 2012

Introducing Nora Margaret Smith

 Nora Margaret Smith was born Friday April 27th at 10:28pm, arriving at 38 weeks of pregnancy, about 13 days before the doctor's expected due date on May 10th(though I was scheduled to be induced on the 8th, her ultrasound due date, if she hadn't come by then). Nora weighed in at 7lbs and 1oz and is 19 inches long. She arrived with a head of dark hair, just like her brother Charles. The miracle of birth is always such a strong reminder to me of our Great Creator, Heavenly Father and His son Jesus Christ and for the tremendous love they have for each of us. I am so grateful to be a mother and to have had this experience once again.


Now for the play-by-play of yesterday (these are my favorite posts to go back and read in my blog books, so though it may seem like a lot of boring details, I love reading them so I continue to put them in):



Friday started out like a typical day. We got up, had breakfast, I dropped off the kids at school, then Annabelle, Jane and I went grocery shopping. We came home, put everything away, I swept and mopped, and then we picked up Charlie from kindergarten. Once we got home, the kids went outside to play for a little while and while I was in the bathroom, I noticed a little pinkish mucus. I didn't think too much of it because I had my doctors appointment yesterday and he checked me and sometimes when they do that, there's a little spotting, but I decided to call Scott and let him know and tell him to make sure he always keeps his cell near today and to answer it if it's me. I also talked with my mom that morning about different things and gave a heads up to my neighbor who would be watching the kids when we were in the hospital, like I did with Scott...told her it may be nothing, but it may be something.

I am in charge of making invitations for an upcoming church activity, so I went over and picked up the information I needed to make those, and then as soon as Jane went down for her nap after lunch, I got to work on the invitations and brought them back to the person I was reporting to so she could approve them. I decided I'd better leave the original with her just in case I didn't make it to church on Sunday so she could run off as many copies as we would need. Charles and Elisabeth got picked up for piano, the girls and I cleaned and played and then picked up the kids from piano just before 3pm. When we got home, I made some mexican brown rice and started pulling things out to make enchiladas for dinner. I never got to finish that task.

 Elisabeth and I began gluing pieces together for invitations and the other kids played. As we glued I started to feel some cramps in my stomach, but you know, having four little children and being in a non-stop whirlwind of busy-ness all day everyday, I really didn't have much time to think about it. At 430 I told Elisabeth she better get ready for her soccer game because we'd leave the house around 5:05 so we could pick up dad from Firestone where he was dropping off his truck to get a new muffler and then we'd head straight over to her game. She went down to change and I went to the bathroom. That's where all the fun started :). I was bleeding, quite a bit. It was dark red, dripping and there were some clots that were the size of quarters. Luckily, I had a phone in the bathroom with me. I paged my doctor. While I waited for him to call back I called Scott who was on his way to Firestone and told him to come home instead of dropping his truck off. I called Alicia (my neighbor that would be watching the kids) and told her what was going but also said to wait a little while because I wanted to still try to make Elisabeth soccer game. Then the doctor called and our plans changed. He wanted us to come in now. Alicia came over. I called Elisabeth's soccer coach and asked if they could pick her up and drop her back off at home before and after the game. Then I started to notice some more cramps....contractions. But they weren't very strong yet and I didn't have time to time them. Scott arrived a few minutes later and we quickly put our hospital bag together and then we were off. I wish we had paused for a moment to eat dinner before we left because they don't let you eat until after the baby is born. Oh well.

We got to the hospital around 530pm. I was dilated to a 3 and 80% effaced which was an improvement from my doctors appointment the day before. I was put on monitors and we watched contractions for an hour over which time they were about 3-5 minutes apart and getting a lot more intense. It's amazing to me how fast contractions can get intense.




When the nurse checked me again, I was still 80% effaced but at a four now. She called my doctor and he said he wanted me to stay. He's a smart man and I'm always grateful to hear those words. We moved to a labor and delivery room down the hall. There they got me started on an IV(missed the vein the first time which hurt a lot, caused blood to flow, and now a day later some swelling and bruising in that upper forearm) so that I could have an epidural.


Around 730pm I got my epidural. That was not fun. They never are, what with having to be all curled up in the fetal position while you're having contractions, but this time was the worst. After the anesthesiologist put it in, he went to put a catheter in my back and I started bleeding which apparently is not a good thing. So he pulled the catheter out and tried to stick it back in the same hole a different way. Well that caused some sort of nerve reaction because my right leg, near my knee did a reflex thing and was all tingly. And he said it didn't feel right to him. So he took it out and went down lower into my back and did the whole thing again. Not fun, but it worked and it took the pain away which I'm always appreciative of, though the next day(today), my lower back is hurting and bothering me more than any other pains. Anyway, that was my drama for the night.

Once he left, my doctor dropped in to break my water since my water never, ever breaks on it's own. This was around 8pm. He left and I had Scott run to the Redbox and get us Hugo :). We were able to watch about half of it(we had to stop a few times so I could get checked...I was at a 7 and 1/2 around 9pm) before I started feeling a lot of pressure down low. I called my nurse, she checked me and I was at a ten. This was around 10pm. She called my doctor and he headed on over to the hospital...he lives close and so he likes to deliver all his patients, even when he's not on call, which I really like. I had strict orders not to push until he got there because last time, with Jane, he was just across the hall, the nurse asked me to give one practice push to see if we could get her down lower and out she came!

The doctor promised to hurry over though, and he was there within about 6 minutes of the nurse talking to him. By about 1025pm Doctor was there and everything was ready so I had the go ahead to push whenever I felt like it. I pushed three times through the first contraction and out she came! The head on the first push, then everything else on the other two. Nora was born at 10:28pm and Scott cut the cord. The doctor delivered my placenta and gave me a couple of stitches. We stayed in the labor and delivery room until about midnight at which time we were moved to a recovery room. The nurse brought me a sandwich right after Nora was born because she knew I was hungry(I probably mentioned it a few times :)). I was able to nurse her a few times that night and she did fabulously. She slept some but I didn't sleep much because nurses are always coming and going, checking her vitals, my vitals, pushing on my tummy etc. After a couple of hours I had most of the feeling back in my legs and could walk to the bathroom with a little assistance. And now, I'm walking around everywhere and having a hard time sitting still. If they let me, I'll go home tonight. I know I won't sleep well here. My lower back is giving me a little pain and discomfort because of the epidural, but it's not terrible, and the after contractions aren't too bad...though they're at their worst when Nora nurses.


 Overall everything went wonderfully and I feel so blessed to have had another safe labor and delivery and I feel so grateful for the opportunity I've had to bring another daughter of God into our family.



 And look at her handsome daddy! I'm so lucky to have such an amazing husband and father for our children(notice the "happy birthday" sign in the background...Scott and the kids brought that to put up in our room). He is always so supportive, and I know I can always count on him.

And for the name: The name Nora is a name both Scott and I have liked for awhile. We almost named Jane Nora. We like old fashioned names, names that have withstood the test of time, and Nora is one of those names. Nora means 'honor' and I love that as well. A good, strong meaning. And her middle name, Margaret, is a family name, and if you know the stories of our previous four children, you know we always do family names so that the child feels more of a connection with their family members who have gone before and paved the way. I have several ancestors with the name of Margaret, the closest in line being my great-great grandmother, Margaret Cramer who was a strong, pioneer type woman.We love our Nora so, so much already. When the kids and Scott came to visit us at the hospital, Elisabeth showed me the picture and letter she made for Baby Nora and said something like, "Mom, when I was writing this letter to Nora, even though I'd never met her yet, I felt so much love for her already that I wanted to tell her in this letter." All the kids are thrilled about the new addition to our family, and so are we. 



15 comments:

Jessica and Brad said...

Congrats she is beautiful!

Lindsay said...

she is such a sweetheart! love the dark hair! ahhhh...epidural complications like that are always my nightmare! I'm glad you survived it all ok and the epidural actually worked since you went to so much trouble getting it! and you are amazing wanting to go home tonight. I always try to go home as late as possible because I sleep so great at the hospital when i can just send my baby to the nursery. the first few nights at home are always the worst so i like to prolong them as long as possible :)

carrie r. said...

So happy for you Elisa! She is beautiful, I love the name. Congrats!

Elliot said...

We're so happy for you guys! She's adorable!

MarieC said...

Yay! I'm glad--for your sake--that she arrived a little early. She is beautiful!

Clark Family said...

Congratulations! She is beautiful! Glad Mom is doing well too! ;)

Rachel said...

Aww! Lucky you! :) Nora is adorable and I'm so glad everything went well. Congratulations on another beautiful baby!

The Frosts said...

Congratulations smith family! She is just gorgeous and I love seeing all your kids together. Good luck with recovery and adjusting,

The Conders said...

Congrats!!! Glad everything went well. She's beautiful!

Elisa said...

Thanks everyone!

berrymom said...

Congratulations! I am so happy for you.

Casey said...

She's beautiful and I love her name! I love old yet beautiful names too. :)

Danica said...

She's so beautiful and you look beautiful too. What a gorgeous family! I'm so glad it went well and hope your recovery goes well.

mary said...

Yayyy! I was so nervous reading through your story - I think I would have freaked out with so much blood at the beginning. But I am glad she is here... smart girl to come early! And Nora Margaret is a beautiful name. Can't wait to see more of her. What a sweetie!

Margot said...

Congratulations! I absolutely adore the name Nora. She's darling!