Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Asparagus with Parmesan-Lemon Vinaigrette




I am starting another blog. I'm keeping this one as our family blog, and the other one will be all about healthy eating and will be full of my recipes with picture tutorials....maybe eventually with some video tutorials as well, but I'd like not to be pregnant in those video tutorials so that won't happen for a few months at least :). I'm really excited about it. I love food, health, and nutrition but I also don't want our family blog to be so full of recipes and my health stuff that it takes the focus of this blog off of the family stuff. So anyway, it's in the works though I won't have it go public until I get a good amount of recipes on there; hopefully in the next month. In the meantime, I'll continue to post a few food recipes here which I'll also transfer over to my new food blog. I hope some of you will follow me over to that website. I'll be sure to post the website information on here once it's public. Now, onto the asparagus recipe.

Asparagus has been on sale around here for the past couple of months. I bought a bunch and then went in search of some yummy asparagus recipes. After a little bit of experimenting and changing things around, we've found a winner! Scott, Charles and I love it and between the three of us, we will eat a bunch in one sitting. The fact that Charles ate so much of it the first time he had it was such a welcome surprise. Now, whenever it's his day during the week to choose dinner, he almost always requests asparagus to go along with whatever else he's picked, so we've made this recipe a lot. Alright, on to the recipe. First, here's how we did it:


Turn your oven onto the broil setting and position the oven rack 6 inches away from the broiler element. Take out a baking sheet, preferably with a rimmed edge. Pull out your olive oil, lemon juice(or fresh lemon), Parmesan cheese, parsley, sea salt, and pepper. In a small bowl we will mix up a vinaigrette to add to the asparagus once it's cooked. Combine your lemon juice, parmesan cheese, olive oil, parsley and a little salt and pepper, mixing them together with a spoon or the tablespoon you used to measure(like I did in the picture below) and then set the bowl aside.
Now you'll want to prep your asparagus. Bend your asparagus at the thicker end until it snaps, removing the tough part. You can do this with each piece or you can line up the broken one with the rest in the bunch, using it as a guide to trim away the rest of the asparagus in one cut with a chefs knife. Once they're all cut, lay them on your ungreased, rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle some olive oil over top and shake a little salt and pepper and toss them together with your hands. Arrange the asparagus in a single layer. Place the asparagus pan in the oven and broil for three minutes. Take it out, give it a little shake and put it back in the oven for another three minutes or until tender and lightly browned.

Transfer your asparagus to a platter and crumble the dressing over the top and serve it warm.
Asparagus with Parmesan-Lemon Vinaigrette

Vinaigrette

2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese
1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 Tbsp minced fresh or dried parsley
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper

Asparagus
1 bunch asparagus
1/2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1/8 tsp sea salt
1/8 tsp pepper

Turn your oven onto the broil setting and position the oven rack 6 inches away from the broiler element. Take out a baking sheet, preferably with a rimmed edge. In a small bowl,combine ingredients for vinaigrette and set aside. Cut off tough asparagus bottoms and then lay them on your ungreased, rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and shake over top 1/8 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper and toss together with your hands. Arrange the asparagus in a single layer. Place the asparagus pan in the oven and broil for three minutes. Take it out, give it a little shake and put it back in the oven for another three minutes or until tender and lightly browned.

Transfer your asparagus to a platter, crumble the vinaigrette over the top and serve warm.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Elisa thanks for the good tips. That is so funny because I made asparagus tonight for dinner. We don't have it often. But I didn't trim off my ends and they were really hard. I'm going to try this recipe next week when I buy another bunch. We all like asparagus except Hannah so it is going to be a new regular!

Lindsay said...

I'm so glad you posted this! Asparagus was on the menu for us tonight so it was fun to try it prepared a new way. We loved it! Asparagus is Matt's absolutely favorite veggie so we have it a lot when it is in season and cheap. thanks for the recipe!