Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Valentine's Day

I've decided I like the track my kids are on right now. I like that they have a good amount of February off because there are so many fun crafts and other things to do in preparation for Valentine's day, and then there is also Annabelle's birthday.

We had a Valentine's Day Menu that we had decided on a couple of days before hand. We pretty much always do pink, heart shaped pancakes for breakfast and a heart pizza for dinner, and this year we also added in a pink smoothie at breakfast, heart shaped sandwiches for lunch(which we packed up and shared with dad at work), strawberry spinach salad for dinner and a smore pizza for dessert. Yes, you heard that right. Smore pizza. Not my choice but I'm going along with it. I made the mistake of telling Scott about the papa murphys e-coupon I received, where you get a heart pizza and a smore pizza for $7 and he was sold. But we compromised a little and agreed to either give the leftovers away or toss them. We ended up tossing them. We wanted to do a homemade heart pizza, but I wasn't sure how we'd manage keeping it in a heart shape while transferring it to the pizza stone. Though last night my mom shared the brilliant idea of still making a circle pizza but arranging the toppings so they make the shape of a heart, so I think we'll do that next year. We also had fresh strawberries and strawberries dipped in almond bark. Elisabeth helped dip the strawberries and we brought a plate over to a lady in our neighborhood and ward who played the piano for Elisabeth and I this past Sunday at church when Elisabeth and I sang a duet. As a side note, Elisabeth did a great job and even sang one verse solo. Singing in a microphone in front of lots of people can be really scary and we were very proud of her.

And of course, we all got to read our love letters at breakfast. This is the 5th or 6th year we've done this and it truly is my favorite part about Valentine's Day. I love getting love letters from the kids and especially Scott :)! I've kept all of them in a box and my plan is to put each child's together into a notebook as a gift to them when they turn 18 or before they leave home.

Happy Valentine's Day!

No comments: