Monday, February 27, 2012

Jumanji

Do you remember the movie Jumanji? I was a kid when it came out and I remember liking it. While at the library a couple of weeks ago, we found this movie in the kids section and decided to give it a try...the kids were off track and we had more time for movies. It's PG, and whenever my kids watch a PG movie I always look up content information before hand to see if I think it'll be okay. Even though I've seen the movie many times, I haven't seen it in years, probably way before I had kids, so I needed to be reminded. Anyway, what I read sounded okay, some intense fantasy action scenes, mainly with the animals that come out of the jungle. I thought Charlie would really like it, and he did. He even asked if we could buy it for his next birthday. Annabelle and Elisabeth on the other hand....

Annabelle sat right next to me and a couple of times got really close to me but overall she seemed okay. Unfortunately, that night, Elisabeth came upstairs out of bed in tears because she couldn't stop thinking about Jumanji and how scary it was. Scott and I talked with her for awhile. We let her watch, "The Coat" on daddy's ipod touch, which is a nice, short(probably 3 minutes) video about a sweet little boy who does something kind for someone else. We reminded her to say a prayer asking Heavenly Father to protect her and to help her be comforted so she could fall asleep and then we told her to think about happy things, like the short clip she just watched. She went back to bed and seemed to be fine. But the next night was the same. And then Annabelle started saying she couldn't go to sleep because she always thought about Jumanji. Whoops! I felt bad for letting them watch it. Ever since then, the girls have slept together in Elisabeth's twin bed, on the top bunk. This was something they came up with on their own and I didn't know about it until after they were asleep and I went in to check on them. They've been sleeping together every night for the past couple of weeks and we haven't had any problems so we're letting them.

1 comment:

kelley said...

I remember loving that movie too but I guess I was a little older when I saw it. How sweet that them sleeping in the same bed helps them!
Is it sad that I sometimes still wake up from bad dreams and have to turn the lights on? Man, I'm wimpy...