Thursday, February 9, 2012

Home-made whole wheat tortillas

The first question I asked myself after eating these tortillas is, where have they been all my life? Seriously, my dad is from Mexico and his family apparently always made their own tortillas. Why didn't we? My friend Maren gave me a couple of really good whole foods recipes recently and this was one of them.

Backing up, Elisabeth(our 7-year-old) does not like store bought whole wheat tortillas. She always said she didn't like quesadillas, but I know now that it was just quesadillas made from store bought whole wheat tortillas. Sometimes she'll have a burrito if it has enough fillings inside so she can't really taste the tortilla, but then she'll always leave the ends where there isn't much of anything else on it.

About a month ago, we went to Costa Vida for the first time and she ate a quesadilla and loved it. I asked her why she didn't like my quesadillas and she said it was the tortilla. Now, back to the present. I made these whole wheat tortillas this week and had her try a bite. She loved it and in fact said, "Mom, these taste just like the ones from Costa Vida!" A HUGE compliment coming from her. And then she ate two quesadillas! And in fact, the whole family loved them which is also HUGE for us. We don't have very many dinner meals we ALL enjoy. Now, these tortillas are not really just like the one's from Costa Vida, which I told her, because mine are whole wheat and the one she had there was made from white flour. Either way, I'm so happy to have found this recipe because I am a Mexican food lover and this will be very useful for my family.

I filled my burrito with cooked beans, lettuce, mexican rice, guacamole and salsa! So yummy!
Link
This recipe made 12. When I made it again I doubled it, though I only used 3/4 c oil rather than the full 1cup. They were pretty easy and probably took about 30 minutes to make, the longest part being the rolling out of the dough and cooking. The first time I made these I cooked them on my stove in a cast iron pan. Then I got smart and pulled out my large pancake griddle so I could roll out and cook four at a time which went much quicker. I cooked all of them at one time and then you can refrigerate or freeze leftovers, though I just left mine on our counter in a tupperware because I figured they'd get eaten up the next day, which they did. Here's the recipe:

Whole-Wheat Flour Tortillas- Lightly adapted from 100 days of whole foods
Yield: 12 tortillas

Ingredients

  • 2 1/2-3 cups whole-wheat flour

  • 1/2 cup oil(I used olive oil...if you double this recipe, you only need 3/4 c oil)

  • 1 teaspoon salt

  • 1 cup warm water (heated in the microwave for 30 seconds)

Directions

  1. In the bowl of a heavy-duty mixer set with a dough hook, pour in the 2 1/2 cups flour, oil, water and salt. Beat with the paddle about 3 minutes until smooth. Scrape the sides as needed. If your hand-held mixer comes with dough hooks those can be used as well(and that's what I personally used to make these). Add more flour if needed; you don't want it so sticky that you can't work with it.

  2. Take out the dough and divide it into 12 equal sized pieces. I do this by rolling out a log shape that is about 8 – 10 inches long. Then I cut it in the middle. Then I cut each of those pieces into 3 so you have 12 pieces.

  3. Roll each piece into a ball and flatten it out on a baking tray/board/parchment paper. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest at room temperature for at least 15 minutes or up to one hour.

  4. Heat a cast iron skillet, griddle or 12-inch skillet over med to medium-high heat. I had my griddle on about 375 degrees. The pan should be fairly hot before you begin cooking the tortillas.

  5. On a lightly floured board or countertop, roll each ball into a 8 to 10 inch circle. Be careful not to use more than a teaspoon or two of flour when rolling out each ball of dough because too much excess flour will burn in the pan.

  6. Grease the pan with a touch of oil if needed(I didn't do this on my cast iron or my griddle) and then carefully transfer each tortilla, one at a time, to the pan and cook until puffy and slightly brown, about 30 to 40 seconds per side. Set aside on a plate to cool slightly. Eat within an hour, refrigerate or freeze.

7 comments:

Lindsay said...

I am so excited to try these! We make tortillas all the time---well, I should say Matt does. He got a tortilla press for Christmas and ones of those tortilla containers with the lids to keep them warm---like they have at restaurants :)

April said...

Cool. I think we should do that lunch get-together we were planning when I was expecting Lilli! :) We are sharing a car right now, so I just have to plan ahead that way.

The Clarks said...

Okay - I have a million comments. First off, I am SO happy you tried these and they were a hit! I tried a different recipe a couple months ago and they were just ok. I have been planning on trying this recipe next - so I am happy they are good.
Second, I love that you tried making Lara Bars! I have been addicted to them for the past couple months and have been wanting to try to make them bc they are so expensive @ Costco. Where did you get your dates?
Third, where do you get your almonds from? Where do you buy most of your nuts and stuff for granola? I have been slowly building up my supplies for making your granola.
Fourth, You'll be happy to know I started doing green smoothies a few weeks ago! I love them. And I Love my Blendtec! Greatest thing ever.

Elisa said...

Christine, Love, love lara bars! I buy my dates at Winco. I also buy my wheat germ and coconut flakes there(SO much cheaper there than at normal grocery stores), I also buy flax seeds at Winco and sometimes my nuts, but almonds are also a good deal at Costco. I think it's $10 for 3 lbs. Honey is a good price at Costco, though I buy mine through a guy who has his own bees throughout Utah which is pretty much the same price as costco, but I like doing it through him because it's local and raw. I hope I've answered all your questions. (oh and since winco is about a 20 minute drive for me, I buy enough of this stuff to last me a couple of months at a time).

Elisa said...

Christine, also oats I either get at the dry pack cannery or when they go on sale at Harmons case-lot sale or other grocery stores like that.

The Clarks said...

Thanks Elisa! Ok...couple more things I thought of. Do you buy the light or medium agave? Does it matter? And where do you get your whole wheat. I make my own bread but I want to grind it bc I have a Blendtec now. Also, you should try the crockpot 100 Days of Real Food refried beans. SO good and easy with no oil at all.

Elisa said...

Christine, I'll have to check that recipe out for the crock pot refried beans...though I wonder if it's similar to the one I do which I need to do a post about. Basically I cook the beans in the slow cooker for 6-8 hrs on high(sometimes with onion and garlic) and then I mash them up with some of their water. Also no oil. I'll go check that website.

I get my whole wheat from the cannery or from places that are having a case lot sale that has it for a better price than the cannery. The agave I get from Costco. It's a light, organic blue agave, though I'm not sure how important that is. I should do a little research.