Monday, December 12, 2011

Sucanat Almond Poppy Seed Bread

Yesterday as I was browsing recipes on the internet(something I do often), I saw a picture of an Almond Poppy Seed Bread and wanted it. But it had 2 1/2 c of refined sugar! I wasn't going to do that. And it had canola oil and white flour. So I decided I'd follow the basic recipe but make my own changes so that I could eat it and feel good about it(remember the pain in my leg increases dramatically when I eat sugar...and it's no good for you anyway. If you want a healthy family this winter, avoid it; remember it significantly slows down your immune system...to a crawl. I know, I know, easier said than done. But if you check out some of my healthy dessert recipes here on my blog, I think you'll find that they can replace the other stuff very nicely).

I was a little nervous how it'd turn out(and so was Scott), but it was delicious! I made 3 mini loaves and 12 muffins last night and we're down to half a loaf left...granted, I gave one loaf away to a sweet neighbor who has been watching our children the past four Sundays so Scott and I could go to choir practice in preparation for the Christmas Program. Yesterday while we were at practice, a couple of the boys(including one of our own) made life stressful for her...so Charlie brought the bread over to her with a note of apology. It made her so happy, and in turn, him too. Anyway, back to the bread. This morning, when I only had one loaf left, I threw together a glaze and we drizzled that on and Charlie liked it even better(though we all loved it without too, so you can decide)! So I'll post the recipe for that too at the bottom of this post. This would be a great Christmas neighbor/teacher/friend gift, wrapped in cellophane with a ribbon.

*Sorry about the awful pictures...again :). My camera has a hard time taking close-up shots. I took quite a few, and surprisingly, these were the best.

And two of my favorite things to eat right now:
1. For Lunch-whole wheat veggie sandwich with a little mayo and mustard, lots of lettuce, tomato and avocado.
2. For Breakfast or snack- yogurt(plain greek), granola and blueberry parfait
I recently researched the difference between normal plain yogurt and greek plain yogurt. The difference is that normal yogurt gets strained twice(taking off some of the liquid whey) after they've added the healthy bacteria to the milk and allowed it to ferment; Greek yogurt is strained three times, so there is even less whey and it's thicker and creamier. Because of this difference, Greek yogurt is higher in protein and lower in carbs. (also, lactose is in the whey, so if you have a hard time with dairy, try Greek. Sometimes people who have a hard time with dairy do okay with normal yogurt too, though. Experiment with it.) Whatever you choose, try and go plain. It's so much better for you. Just add a little agave, honey, stevia, fruit, etc. I personally like mine with a little agave and frozen blueberries.

Sucanat Almond Poppyseed Bread

1 c. white flour(I'm going to try all wheat, just haven't yet)
2 c. wheat flour
2 c. Sucanat
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. coconut oil, melted (butter would work too)
3 eggs
1 1/2 c. rice milk (milk would work fine too)
1 Tbsp. poppy seeds
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 tsp. butter extract/flavor
1 1/2 tsp. almond extract/flavor


Glaze

1/2 c agave

1/4 c orange juice

1/2 tsp vanilla

1/2 tsp butter extract

1/2 tsp almond extract


Preheat oven to 350. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, salt, and baking powder. In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, oil, sucanant, and flavorings and beat for 2 minutes. Alternate adding in flour mixture and milk and then mix until combined. Add poppyseeds and stir until just combined. Pour into prepared pans (5 mini pans or 2 regular loaf pans...or 2 mini loaves and 13 muffins; any combination really) and bake (25 min for muffins, 35-40 minutes for mini pans, 1 hour for large pans; keep an eye on them). Test with toothpick in center; should come out clean. When done, place on a cooling rack for 10 minutes and then remove from pans and allow to cool completely on a cooling rack. While cooling, prepare glaze by combining all glaze ingredients and whisk together with fork. Put loaves on a tray or cookie sheet with a rim and then drizzle glaze over loaves.

No comments: