Saturday, January 7, 2012

Protein Comparison Chart


Some people wonder how vegans and vegetarians get their protein. That's not a big surprise considering the large amount of money and influence in the meat and dairy companies. They're the ones who fund much of the health/nutrition education in schools. If you look at this chart you'll see that the first five items on this list, the items that have the most protein, are all vegetarian/vegan. Black beans, kidney beans, lentils, wheat gluten, etc. And peanut butter has more than most meats as well. I'm not 100% vegetarian(though I mostly don't like meat) but I thought this chart was good enough to share.

5 comments:

Shayla Taylor said...

Thank you SO much for this chart! I have been looking for something like this! :)

carrie r. said...

That is interesting. So how often do you eat beans and rice? Are your children and Scott also as vegan as you are or do you just kind of do it on your own? I imagine your kids would follow your lead since you prepare their food, but I know men seem to crave meat more. Just wondering if you still serve it to your family.

Shayla Taylor said...

Carrie - Quinn was a very meat and potatoes man - but we are down to meat maybe once a week. Start slow and you can totally do it too! (Sorry for the comment. Just love this chart!)

Elisa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Elisa said...

Carrie, I'm not vegan. Mostly vegetarian, but not even close to being vegan. I eat cheese almost daily and yogurt too...and I like ice cream :), though I try not to indulge too often :). We eat beans and rice every week. I usually make a pot of each and then the beans sometimes I'll refry(but w/no oil, just in it's own juice) and sometimes we'll eat whole. Scott and the kids aren't vegetarian, though Annabelle sometimes makes comments like, "ew, you're eating a cow!" or something like that and she doesn't seem to like as many meats as the others, so she may be some day. That being said, I don't generally buy and cook meat besides some chicken. If Scott or someone makes a special request for their birthday etc, I'll do it, but otherwise, if Scott really wants some meat, he'll get it when we eat out or occasionally he'll make something himself.

Shay, I'm glad you like it!