Monday, December 19, 2011

Christmas neighbor/teacher gifts

It is six days before Christmas and I think I'm pretty much ready. Gifts for the family are in the closet waiting to be wrapped(Scott and I have a wrapping party Christmas Eve...it's pretty fun. And we can't put anything under the tree early because of the ages of our children. Saying, 'No' to 21-month-old Jane is like inviting her to do that very thing.). Packages to our family, Christmas letters etc have all been sent off, and this morning I finished up gifts for neighbors and teachers. I made sure our gifts to neighbors/teachers this year were all pretty healthy and not too time consuming(life is busy; and being pregnant and standing for long periods of time don't go well together...at least not for me)

I found sparkling cider at Costco in a pack of four and each one ended up being about $1.70 or so which has been the best price I've seen. I added a tag to each one that says, "Have a very merry Christmas and a 'sparkling' new year!" I thought it was pretty clever :), and better than giving people high fructose corn syrup aka soda(and diet soda is probably even worse!)
I also made Italian Party Chex Mix and poppy seed bread, partly because I wanted to have these, and because I wanted something a little more for larger families and the kids school/piano teachers.
I posted the recipe for the poppy seed bread on here about a week ago, but I have tweaked it since then and it is really amazing. So click here and check out that recipe if you'd like to give it a try. Here is the recipe for the party chex mix as well.

Italian Party Mix-from Granny Rojean Garnica

Combine, pour 6 Tbsp olive oil over all and shake gently to coat:

8 c corn chex

8 c rice chex

8 c pretzels(sticks or small twists)


Combine and add to cereal mix and gently shake to coat:

1/2 c parmesan cheese

2 Tbsp dry spaghetti sauce mix

4 tsp garlic powder

Optional: nuts, sunflower seeds, other snack crackers, Bugles etc.


Store in airtight container. Makes 24 cups.


1 comment:

Lani said...

Love the sparkling cider idea, I need to remember that for next year.