Saturday, December 3, 2011

Baked Sweet Potato Fries



I got quite a few sweet potatoes in my bountiful basket this season. I like sweet potatoes okay, but the only way I've ever had them was as yams and that's fine for Thanksgiving, but I don't really like having yams all the time.

Awhile back I decided to make them into sweet potato fries and this is definitely a winner :). They are so yummy! I've made a couple of batches over the past few months. I made some while my dad was here and he also really liked them. Jane loves them! They are best eaten right away so if you don't think you can eat all these in one sitting, try it with one sweet potato instead and halve the spices and oil.

Baked Sweet Potato Fries

2 large sweet potatoes, chopped into fry shape(peeled if you don't like them)
2 Tbsp olive oil or coconut oil melted
1/2 tsp. Cumin
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. sea salt
½ tsp. cayenne(optional for added kick)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Chop the sweet potatoes into matchstick shapes by cutting in half, then lengthwise(half again if they're really long), in lengthwise again twice more. Try to make them all about the same thinness so they cook evenly. In a large bowl combine spices. Add the potatoes and oil and stir well to combine. Evenly space the fries on a cookie sheet(probably need two), make sure they don’t touch. If using two baking sheets, space them out with a rack in between them so they don't steam each other; switch the pans half way. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Pull out of oven and flip them(flip a bunch at a time w/spatula and don't worry if they're not all neat looking anymore, just try not to have any on top of each other). Bake another 10-15 minutes until lightly brown and crispy. Serve immediately.

Jane sneaking a few more fries even after we'd closed the kitchen for the night.

1 comment:

kelley said...

I love sweet potato fries! I went somewhere once where they had some sort of cinnamon butter type thing that you dip them in and that was amazing! I want to try to make that the next time I make sweet potato fries.