Tuesday, December 20, 2011

20 weeks and Jane's hives

I had my 20 week appointment today. Everything went well. We went over my ultrasound and everything looks good, the due date is about the same, around May 8th so that's good. No belly picture today because you saw one last week :).

I talked with my doctor about my history of bumps today and then showed him the large one I have on my leg. Like the other doctors(physical therapists etc) I've seen in the past, he's not sure what it is, though he said if it hangs around after pregnancy and I'm concerned, I could see a hematologist and see if he could figure it out for us. But I don't think I will. I've found that if I'm eating good foods and not overweight, they usually don't appear. But right now, with the uterus putting pressure on my blood vessels and making circulation to my legs difficult, I think I'm going to see these until the pregnancy is over...I've also had some swollen varicose veins. Oh the joys of pregnancy :).

I took a picture of the area with the bump for you. It's just below my right knee and it's taking over a pretty large area of my leg. See where it's all discolored, purple, red and some white spots in the middle? That whole area is sensitive to touch, hard and very warm. My varicose veins are down further on that leg, just above my ankle.


And as for diet, I know some of you don't believe that stuff, but I can testify that it really works. Just over Thanksgiving I was in so much pain because of my bump that I was in tears. I could barely walk. I had to have my leg up all day. It was awful. And guess what I ate over Thanksgiving? Ice cream, cake, and apple pie, and more ice cream :). Sugar increases pain. I'm not making that up. It also feeds infection. Dairy is another one that seems to bother my bump if I have too much of it. So, since that time, I've been very strict about what I'm eating. Pretty much no refined sugar, very little other sugars too(and when I say sugar I mean from the sugar cane, but not things like fruit. Fruit is amazing!), and very little dairy if any. And since then, my leg has felt fine and the swelling has gone way down. The bump is still there and sensitive if someone bumps into it, and like I said, I think it'll be there until this baby arrives because of circulation issues that come along with pregnancy, but I'm okay with that as long as I'm not in pain all the time.

One other thing I've changed over the past few weeks is my exercise program. With the bad circulation in my legs, Tae Bo was just way too aggressive for me and it was another thing that was causing me pain. I still exercise every day, but three times a week I do a 50 minute maternity yoga video, and the other three days I walk on the tredmill or do the elliptical machine. Walking feels fine as long as I'm not eating sugar and dairy, but if I am, it's too painful to walk for a long period of time. Anyway, enough about that.

Last week Jane woke up one morning with hives. And she had them for at least 4 days. We're not exactly sure what caused it(this was her first time having hives; though Annabelle had them once last year after a mosquito bite), but we think it's from the extreme cold weather conditions that hit Utah recently. It's always the worst in the morning, and she'd wake up with cold hands, legs and feet(she always takes off her socks, silly girl). So we put a warm mattress cover over her plastic crib mattress and we started having her sleep in a sleeper with feet and since then we haven't seen it again. But, it could have been something else too(food, bug bite etc) and it just cleared itself up after awhile. But like I said, it was always worse in the mornings, oh, and when we walked to church the other day(it was freezing outside but the church building is really close), the hives got worse on her hands and face which were both exposed to the cold air. They don't seem to bother her too much. She doesn't try to scratch them, though occasionally, if they were really flared up and I picked her up and was touching that spot, she would squirm in my arms until it felt comfortable. I gave her benadryl a couple of times and put on some cortisone cream, but I don't like giving medicine if it's not necessary, and she wasn't in pain so I stopped. Besides, I wanted to see what was making it worse and when I gave her benadryl, they'd go away temporarily and I couldn't tell. Here are a couple of pictures I took of them.
I cropped this picture so you wouldn't get the full bum shot :).
And to end on a more positive note, look at Annabelle in her cute Christmas dress. Isn't she darling? I did a braided headband in her hair for church which she liked(well, she didn't like it while I was braiding it; there were a few tears. But she loved it when it was all finished)

3 comments:

carrie r. said...

Elisa, I for one think you are right on about diet affecting all aspects of health! I think there are some things like sugar that probably affect everyone negatively, and in other cases, different people can have different sensitivities. A huge break through for me recently has been discovering how many symptoms I have been suffering from gluten. I cut it out as an experiment trying to help Sam get rid of his eczema (since I am breastfeeding). Well it didn't do much for him but cutting it out completely removed my own horrible finger eczema, depression, anxiety, headache, and brain fog! I added it back in to my diet and removed it again several times to make sure I had the right culprit and every time I added it in every one of those symptoms returned, whenever I cut it out again after a few days every symptom is gone. Pretty amazing. And to think all this time I thought wheat was one of the best things I could be eating ("given for the use of man") but it has been doing so much harm to me. And these are things I have suffered with since I was a teenager. I am grateful for your blog which really opened my awareness to diet-related symptoms in the first place, I admire all of your research and hard work in that area to feed your family the best you can.

Elisa said...

Carrie, I'm so glad to hear it. I think in general, if people would try and eat whole foods for a little while, and get off the junk that's kind of numbing to the body, they learn to listen to their bodies and can better recognize when things they're eating are good or not so good in their system. I've learned over the years that my body doesn't do well with a lot of dairy, so I have to be careful with how much I'm taking in.

Suzie Thomas said...

This tool is especially great for core workout and muscle training. Nowadays most elliptical trainers are equipped with a computer which is programmed with many exercise programs to fulfill your needs.