Friday, October 21, 2011

Slow Cooker Lentil Soup

Slow Cooker Lentil Soup
1 1/2 c dried lentils
1 1/2 quarts water
1 med onion, chopped
1 carrot, peeled and grated
1 rib celery, chopped
3 Tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp(or 1 cube) Better Than Bouillon or chicken bouillon
1/2 c tomato sauce
3 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
optional: 1/2 c-1 c orzo pasta with 1-2 c water, added during the last hour

Place the lentils and water in slow cooker. In a large frying pan, saute onion, carrot and celery in oil until limp and glazed. Add to slow cooker. Add garlic, salt, oregano and bouillon to slow cooker. Cover. Cook on low 6-8 hours. Add tomato sauce and vinegar. Stir well. Cover. Cook on high 30 minutes to blend flavors.

This picture is not mine, but I didn't have any and when I did a search for lentil soup images, this one looked a lot like mine. Minus the garnish. I'm lazy like that :). Anyway, I am currently obsessed with this soup. I love it. It is so satisfying. I've made it three times in the past 2 months which is a lot for me considering I haven't been doing a whole lot of cooking the past couple of months...minus boiling water for pasta, even though the smell of pasta(usually w/red sauce) makes me want to hurl. But I can boil water without a fuss. Most foods sound awful right now and so I don't want to be in the kitchen with them. Hopefully only another week of this. Anyway, try this soup. It is so good. Scott loves it too, though I can't say the same for my children. I can't get them to eat any kind of soup. But, I have high hopes for this winter season. I intend to make a soup once a week and I think by week 4, they will like something. Or maybe I'll give them til' week 7. That seems a little more reasonable.

Also, we've done this with and without orzo. The orzo really thickens it up so be sure to add the extra water.

No comments: