Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Pumpkin Patch and Date Night




Saturday after Elisabeth's soccer game we stopped by a pumpkin patch. This was our first time taking the kids to a pumpkin patch to pick out pumpkins. They also had a free tractor ride which was enjoyable and there was someone there making good money doing face painting. She charged $3 for half a face or $5 for a whole face and she finished my kids face painting in less than a minute each. She did a really good job though and I'm actually glad she was fast because some of our children aren't very patient. The kids were thrilled to have their faces painted so prettily and kept them looking nice all day.

Later that day Scott and I went on a date while a family friend watched the kids; we switch with this couple every month and take turns going on dates(usually to the temple but when I'm pregnant I can't go much because of weird things that happen to my body). We each have four children about the same ages, so it works out really nicely. I wouldn't leave all four, especially with Jane being at the age she is(18 mos), with a teen. She needs someone who knows what they're doing and can do it while watching three others :).
Lindsay snapped this photo while the kids were watching Despicable Me.

Scott and I decided to eat dinner at a restaurant we really like in Gardener Village. Unfortunately we picked one of the two worst days of the year you could possibly go: Witches Night Out. We had no idea this would be going on but when we got close, we knew something was up. There were cars parked all over the streets and witches everywhere! Thousands of witches! They make it an all day thing, apparently every October on a particular Friday and Saturday, and we just happened to pick going to Gardener Village that night. But we didn't know so many people would be coming to eat at the restaurant(why we didn't figure that out once we saw all the people walking along the streets, I don't know, especially since Archibald's is the only restaurant in Gardener Village), but by the time we parked our car--which they charged $5 for on this particular night because of all the people--and we went inside the restaurant, it was too late. We'd paid for our parking, we were surrounded by people and there was no turning back. So we put our name on the list, were told an hour to an hour and a half wait, and then we went out into the village and bought candy to eat while we waited for our dinner(I know, SO bad, but Scott was starving and I was pregnant and that was the only other food they sold in the village) and looked around in a shop at furniture and home decor. They actually have really cute shops there and we like browsing their stuff.

When we got back to the restaurant, it was madness. People everywhere! Seriously had to push (very politely, of course)our way through to get to the hostess again. I felt so bad for the poor lady hostess. She had to deal with hungry people who were impatient and rude. We got to eat at our 1 1/2 hour mark, and noticed at that time, the next wait time they were giving people was 2 and 1/2 hours! Yikes! Once we finished our dinner and were walking out, I tapped the hostess on the shoulder and thanked her for all she was doing and told her I thought she was wonderful and doing a fabulous job. She gave an exhausted chuckle and smiled and said thank you. That village must make bank over that one weekend in the year. The restaurant was completely packed and it sounded like it had been all day long. And the sweets shop was packed. All the shops seemed to be doing really well. I'm glad they did so well, but I'm also making a 'note to self' not to go eat at Archibald's during the month of October, ever again. And a million thanks to Lindsay and Matt for watching our kids for so long and being so great to them...and for giving Jane a bath which was above and beyond the call of duty!

2 comments:

The Horne's said...

What do you mean weird things that happen to your body during your pregnancy that you can't make it to the temple?
And oh my gosh - witches?!?!!? So weird!!! Well I hope it was a fabulous dinner!!

Elisa said...

Heidi, I get very fainitsh which only happens during pregnancy, but if I get too warm or hungry or am sitting/kneeling/standing in a position for very long, I start to see stars and will pass out.Not a good thing. One time while in the temple I nearly passed out(started seeing stars and then couldnt' see anything) but the sweet ladies working there told me to put my head between my knees which I did and then started to see again but promptly threw up...and it got all over the white carpet and splattered onto the bottoms of their dresses and myself. Ugh. Something I never want to repeat. Ever. Even during church, a ball game or if we go to a movie or something, I have to get up part way and walk around and go to the bathroom and get a drink. And this is during the whole nine months.