Monday, October 17, 2011

Bone Density

I meant to blog about this awhile ago and forgot.

Probably 2-3 months ago I went into the health food store to grab something. I noticed a sign outside as I walked in that there was a professional there who would be measuring bone density for free. I didn't intend to have mine measured, but as I was checking out, the 35ish-year-old fellow who runs the test asked me if I could spare a few minutes to have it done. Sure, I said.

As we walked over to his machine he asked me a few questions. Our conversation went as follows: Do you exercise? Yes. Do you take supplements? No. Do you eat greens regularly? Yes, quite a bit everyday. Do you have any children? Yes. How many? Four. Really! Okay, well don't be surprised if your score is a little low because having children takes from your bone density and if you're not taking supplements....blah, blah, blah.

So we went over and he took my hand and put it under some screen while asking me personal questions about being married and if I had a single sister(OMG! Seriously!? I kinda just wanted to bolt outta there at this point). When my score came out, he was really surprised. "Wow," he said. "This is the highest score I've seen in days, and it's higher than mine. You really don't take supplements?" "Nope. And I don't even drink milk either." :) Then I told him about my green smoothies and he didn't really seem to care that much but I truly think that the smoothies/whole foods diet, and exercise is what's contributing to my strong bones.

Here's the sheet he gave me:
See the graph on the left of the page? The top curvy line shows what is normal for my age. If you fall closer to the middle line that means signs of osteopenia, and if you fall near the bottom line it means osteoporosis. See that little black dot way up top that's circled? That's my score which was quite above the normal range. Sweet!

1 comment:

The Horne's said...

That's AWESOME!!! I'd love to have that done!