Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Scheduled

I am a very scheduled person. I have a schedule for myself and my family and we follow it pretty closely. Sometimes things come up and a nap will have to be later or earlier in the day than normal, but for the most part we try and stick to the schedule because it just makes life easier when it's so busy.

This week Elisabeth started ballet. We've told the children they can do one sport and one instrument at a time once they turn six. But for the next 3 weeks Elisabeth has two sports(each practice twice a week) that will be overlapping as one is ending and another beginning, and it's tough. Now we have ballet Monday, piano Tuesday, soccer Wednesday, ballet and soccer Thursday(and soccer games for Char Thursday) and most of her soccer games are on Friday though there are two on Saturday. On top of that Charlie has soccer which doesn't have practices but they have two games a week and Scott's the coach. So we have to divide and conquer sometimes. Writing all this down reminds me of that talk given in general conference about not over scheduling your children. I don't think my children are over scheduled with one sport and one instrument, but it sure feels like I am over scheduled and it's just going to get worse when these little kiddies are all six years old: we'll be trying to get to 8 different activities during the week. That sounds hectic. I will become the chauffeur.

I normally wouldn't have let Elisabeth's sports overlap but I signed her up for soccer without talking to her which was my bad, and she really didn't want to do soccer again, she wanted to do ballet. Ballet classes begin working on their recital numbers this week for the Winter recital and if she wanted to be a part of that, she needed to start now. She'll also need to do soccer again in the Spring because when I signed her up for this particular group you pay for the whole year and stay together with your team so life will speed up again during that time, I'm sure. Anyway, life is busy and we're adjusting to the new schedule but it's working out. If I can come up with enough crock pot meals that my family likes, I think we'll do crockpot dinners on Thursday each week and maybe Monday too (on Elisabeth's ballet days) because ballet is during normal dinner prep time. It worked out well this week, but I'm running low on crock pot menus. If any of you have favorites you'd like to share, please do.
This is what Elisabeth wears to ballet lessons: pink tights, pink ballet slippers(though she wears sandles when not in the studio), a custom made red and black leotard and her hair up in a ballet bun. Ballet is the strictest of all the dances which is part of the reason I like it so much. You can learn a lot in ballet, and not only about dance but about discipline, hard work etc. if you have a good instructor. If you are good at ballet, you'll most likely do really well in any other type of dance because it's the core or the foundation for all the others. I did ballet a little when I was younger but switched to Jazz in my teen years. I was on the dance team in high school for two years and then on the cheerleading squad for two years so I danced quite a bit. I took a tap class at BYU too which was a lot of fun. Anyway, Elisabeth has been dancing on her own since she was a baby. She finds instructional books and movies on ballet from libraries that she checks out and will practice with them on her own. I'm excited that she can finally be a part of a dance studio. She seems to have a natural talent for it, and I'm not going to lie, she has the perfect build for a ballerina. We did a couple of trial classes at different studios before I decided on this one and she has loved every minute of each class she's taken. I'm excited to see how she does over the years.

3 comments:

berrymom said...

I swear I could have written this post about our life! This year seems suddenly busier. I keep wondering if I am having my kids do too much and if we need to cut something out. I have come to the same conclusion you have...one instrument and one sport at a time.

BAWC said...

I am dizzy :)

The Clarks said...

I forgot to tell you...don't do that freezer curry crockpot recipe I sent you. No good. I have tried this taco meat recipe...pretty decent: http://riverwalkrecipes.blogspot.com/2011/07/crockpot-chicken-for-tacosburritos_26.html