Sunday, September 11, 2011

Blender waffles, pancakes and 'ice cream'




I find that making food in blenders makes my life just a tad bit easier. This way, instead of getting out my hand mixer, washing a bowl, and the mixing spoons, I just put everything into my blender, whiz it up and it's done. And I even have a nice pouring spout so I don't have to get out measuring cups when I make things like pancakes or waffles. Here are a couple of recipes I've come up with that we like(well I came up with the breakfast ones but the 'ice cream' one is actually one of Robyn Openshaws):

Blender Waffles
1 1/2 c milk(if you double recipe, don't double the milk; start with 2 c and then once you've blended everything, if you need to add a little more milk, do it then)
3 eggs
1/4 c butter, softened
1 tsp salt
2 c whole white wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder

Place wet ingredients in blender, then dry, and blend together. Pour about 1/3 c into center of waffle iron.

Cottage Cheese Pancakes (these are almost more like crepes, but easier to work with than crepes: you can still pour it on your griddle and flip them with a spatula. I came up with these when I had a lot of eggs on hand, a lot of cottage cheese from Costco I needed to use up, and not enough milk. I usually double this recipe for our family of 6. Sorry I don't have a picture of these yet. I'll add one the next time I make them. Just imagine typical pancakes but thinner.)
6 eggs
1 c cottage cheese
3/4 c whole white wheat flour
1/4 c milk
1/4 c melted butter
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt

Place wet ingredients in blender, then dry and blend until mixed together. Pour 1/4 c sized pancakes onto griddle warmed to 300 degrees. Cook until golden brown, then flip and cook the other side until golden brown.

This next 'ice cream' recipe(though actually no dairy) is one of my favorite healthy treats to make, along with a healthier version of peanut butter popcorn--which I need to put on here one day-- Coconut Bliss and Peanut Butter Cups. This is a recipe that requires some preparation. You need to soak your almonds the night before and you need to make this at least several hours before you serve it so it has time to freeze. I sometimes halve this recipe because it makes quite a bit, and I still have plenty to freeze for later. Also, just know that fresh almond milk goes bad after a couple of days so if you decide to save some of your ice cream and almond milk, either make it shortly there after or mix it all, and freeze it in a larger tupperware container. The coconut meat is something I have in my freezer from when I used to buy Thai coconuts all the time to use the coconut water in my pink smoothies. I still make pink smoothies daily, but I buy the canned coconut water now because the price of real coconuts has gone up and it's quite a bit cheaper to do the canned way now.

Butter Pecan Ice Cream-Robyn Openshaw

4 c water

1 c soaked almonds(soaked overnight and drained; becomes about 1 1/2 c)

2 1/2 c thai coconut meat

2/3 c chopped dates

1 Tbsp vanilla

2/3 c peanut butter

1/2 c plus 1 Tbsp maple syrup

1/4 tsp sea salt

1 c pecans, chopped


Blend water and almonds in high power blender until very smooth. Pour out 2 1/2 c into a jar and refrigerate, leaving the remainder(about 3 c) still in blender. Add coconut, dates, vanilla, peanut butter, maple syrup, and salt to blender and blend on hi until smooth. Freeze mixture in ice cube trays. When ready to serve, put reserved refrigerated almond milk in high power blender and blend on hi speed while gradually adding the frozen mixture cubes(or make half a batch at a time, saving some of the liquid and some of the frozen cubes for later). Blend until the mixture is thick like ice cream. Sprinkle with pecans on top right before serving.

1 comment:

The Clarks said...

Genius! Love the blender idea! Ok - have you ever heard of the NInja blender? Do you know of anyone who has ever tried making green smoothies with it? It's definitely no BlendTec...but I think it may work. It's like $120 - which I like.