Monday, June 27, 2011

Firsts for the kids

Elisabeth- First sunburn. It's on her shoulders, and not too bad, but it does bother her a little. As a general rule, we have our children dress modestly, like their parents so it's not such a hard switch once they're older. This means they keep their shoulders covered(excluding swimming and sports), and shorts come down to the knee and shirts cover their tummy, that sort of thing. Elisabeth wore a tank top later that day because of how much her burn was bothering her, and it was funny to hear the comments of her younger siblings concerning Elisabeth's modesty :). Also, in this picture is a bowl of granola. I make granola every week and I've been trying to get Elisabeth to eat it for a long time. It wasn't until we went camping this week and I brought my granola and not a whole lot else for breakfast that Elisabeth decided to eat a bowl. She has requested a bowl of granola with milk every morning since :)!

Charlie-Lost his first tooth! It's been wiggly and we could see another tooth coming up behind it for a couple of weeks.

Annabelle-First child to get hives. Remember our camping trip to Green River last week? Annabelle got a couple of mosquito/bug bites and they got worse over several days, finally turning into welts and then she got welts or hives all over her body. I was a little worried for awhile because I'd never seen hives before and didn't know what was going on. I took her to my good friend and neighbor Maren who was a nurse and right away she said, "looks like hives." We read that benadryl helps a lot so I got her started on that and within a short time she was much better. After doing more research, I found that mosquito or bug bites can cause hives in certain people, up to several days after they've been bitten. She's all better now. The hives only lasted for a day.

Jane- Took her first unassisted steps! Being 15 months old(which is older than any of our children), I feel like this is a long time coming and we're happy to have her walking. Even though she's 15 months, she still looks too little to walk. Someone at the grocery store recently asked me if she was 6 months old :). Here is a short clip of little Jane walking.

2 comments:

The Horne's said...

Good job Jane!!!! Brooklyn is getting close and it's so exciting!!! She's so cautious though I think it will still be a little while.
Also, when I was a kid at summer camp, I got a bug bite, and it swelled to the size of a dessert plate on my leg. They had to draw a line around it to make sure it didn't get bigger...my brother and i both swell HUGE with bites. Everyone reacts so differently.

Elisa said...

Heidi, that's exactly what I did. I took a pen and drew a circle around the swollen area around the bite and the nurse said if it went outside of the circle, to call them or bring her in. That's kind of scary. I'll have to keep her in long clothing next time we camp and really lather her up in bug spray.