Monday, May 30, 2011

I did it!




I captured my own yeast! I'd never attempted this before, but since I use a sourdough start weekly now for pizza, I really wanted to try and capture my own yeast rather than using commercial bakers' yeast, and it worked. Apparently when using commercial baker's yeast, which are made to rise rapidly, those yeast spores do not die in the gut, but instead they multiply and grow, especially when they encounter sugar, and can cause different health problems. I still use store bought yeast for my bread, so I'm going to have to experiment and see if this sourdough starter will work in my recipe or else I'll need to come up with a good sourdough bread recipe.

Seeing the bubbles form(after a day) in the picture below was so satisfying. Once the sourdough starter was about a week old and still doing really well, I moved it into the fridge so I wouldn't have to feed it every day, but instead once a week. If you want to try this yourself, a good place to start would be by watching this short clip. Lot's of good information. Click here to watch. Here are the written directions from the movie:

Starting a Starter: Simple Steps

The Beginning. Put 1/4 cup water and 3/8 cup flour (1/4 cup + 1/8 cup) in a 2 cup ball jar. Stir vigorously.

Scrape sides. Cover. Allow to sit for 12 hours.

Feeding One. 12 hours later, if you don't see life, stir again. Scrape sides. Cover and allow to sit for 12 more

hours.

If you do see life (a few bubbles), add 1/4 cup water to the jar. Stir well. Add 3/8 cup flour. Stir vigorously. Scrape

and Cover. Set aside for 12 hours.

Feeding Two. 12 hours later, if you still don't see signs of life, dump out this mixture and start again.

If you do see life (a few more bubbles), remove 1/2 of the starter, add 1/4 cup water, and stir. Add 3/8 cup flour

and stir. Scrape and cover. Allow to sit for 12 or so hours.

Feeding Three. Remove 1/2 of the starter. Add 1/4 cup water and stir. Add 3/8 cup flour and stir. Scrape and

cover. Allow to sit for 12 or so hours.

Feeding Four. Remove 1/2 of the starter. Add 1/4 cup water and stir. Add 3/8 cup flour and stir. Scrape and

cover. Allow to sit for 12 or so hours.

Feeding Five, Six, Seven... Continue with this routine until your starter consistently shows signs of life, grows

double in size between each feeding, and is at least one week old.

If, after day three or more, your starter does not show much activity 12 hours after its discard/feeding, try

giving it a good stir without discarding and feeding. Sometimes this pause gives the organisms a chance

to catch up and the starter an opportunity to take off.

3 comments:

Vanessa said...

interesting, I'll have to try this some time. Thanks for sharing

April said...

Awesome! If you want, you can feed it extra and give me some. :)

Elisa said...

April, I'd love to! If you are able to make it to the BBQ I'll have some for you then!