Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Food items

I haven't done a food post in a little while because we've found several favorites that we do regularly. But here are a few items(recipes, thoughts etc) pertaining to food:

1. I've modified my pancake recipe to make it healthier, but still really yummy. You can find this modified recipe under the 'Recipe' tab on this blog.

2. Strawberries have begun to sell by the flat in some grocery stores. I bought a flat for $7.99 which is pretty good, but I only bought one because I'm hoping they'll go even cheaper than that. I washed them, cut off the tops and froze them in a couple of gallon ziploc bags for later use in smoothies. I use quite a few in the Hot Pink Breakfast Smoothie, which I drink for lunch several times a week so I love to have lots of whole strawberries in the freezer.

3. I posted a roll recipe on here not too long ago(it's under the recipe tab on this blog). I love this recipe. I love that it makes enough for us to have rolls for dinner, a loaf of cinnamon bread for dessert(a healthier, but still super yummy version) and there's still dough left over for at least 36 rolls to freeze for future use. I also wanted to add here that I made some garlic bread sticks with this recipe that turned out great. I just added a little garlic to the amount of dough I wanted to use for dinner, rolled them out into stick shapes and then spread a little butter on top and sprinkled them with garlic powder and parsley flakes. I love how soft these turn out. My family loves all of the different variations we do with this bread recipe. The cinnamon bread never lasts very long in our house.
In the picture below I'm freezing the dough for rolls on a cookie sheet before I stick them in freezer Ziploc bags so they don't all clump and stick together. I keep them out like this for about half an hour.
Here is a piece of the cinnamon bread. I meant to take a picture of the whole loaf but forgot until after we'd already cut into it.
Rolls and garlic sticks.
4. We had Easter with the Grazzini side of the family this year. I brought a Chilean Cake that I learned how to make from a woman in my neighborhood who is from Chile. It is so yummy but also not good for you, which is why I chose to make it when I knew I'd be sharing it with many others. And everyone really liked it, so it was a good choice. Something I'd never done before previous to making this cake is making my own caramel using a can of sweetened condensed milk. All you do is take the wrapper off the can, cover it with water in a large pot and boil it for three hours. And that's it. Once it's done cooking you have caramel. Here is the recipe for the cake:

Chilean Cake -Vicky Davenport

Yellow cake from cake box mix

1/4c water + 1 tsp almond extract (mixed together in small bowl, & won't use all)

1 can sweetened condensed milk (this will be the caramel in the recipe)

16oz carton of whipping cream + 2Tbsp. Sugar, whipped together

½ bag shredded coconut

Preparation for the day(or weeks) before: Take the wrapper off the canned milk. Put it in a pot and completely cover with water. Boil the can of sweetened condensed milk, in the can, for three hours. It must cool completely before opening.

Using a round cake pan prepare a yellow cake mix following the directions on the box in two, 9 inch circle cake pans. Cut off uneven tops and discard extra. Allow cakes to cool(you can put in fridge or freezer). Drizzle some almond extract and water over the bottom half of cake until moist but not soggy. Spread the caramel, on bottom half and then whipped cream. Place other half of cake on top(putting the cut ends together so you have a non-crumby top surface to work with), poke holes in the top of the cake so the water won't run off and then repeat the water, caramel and whipped cream, making sure you have also covered the sides with caramel and whipped cream. Cover with shredded coconut. Chill overnight. Store in fridge.



5. We've been making green smoothies for a year now. I've figured out a couple of favorite recipes for the kids and Scott. Here is the kids favorite green smoothie recipe. Scotts favorite recipe is similar, but it also includes pineapple, either fresh or frozen.

Smith Kids' Favorite Green Smoothie- Elisa Smith

12 oz water

1/2 c 100% fruit juice

1-2 green leaves(kale, chard etc)

2 large handfuls spinach

1 1/2 bananas(frozen or fresh)

2 handfuls grapes

1 orange or apple

1/2 c frozen blueberries

1/2 c frozen peaches, strawberries, or other berry

1 c frozen mixed berries

3 ice cubes

Combine liquids and greens in (high power, preferably) blender. Pulse until liquified. Add remaining ingredients. Blend until smooth.


6. I checked out the movie 'Wall-E' from the library and we watched it for the first time. Have any of you ever seen that movie? It takes place in the future and is about a robot living on earth alone. All the humans are gone and the planet is full of trash which this robot is trying to clean up. You later find out that all of the humans are living on this huge space craft and they are so obese that they can't move but have to get around by these flying wheelchairs. They sit all day and eat junk food like hot dogs, soda, hamburgers, french fries etc. Eventually they're able to find a living plant(Wall-E finds it), get back to earth, clean it up, grow plants and work the land. There is very little dialogue but my kids really liked it.

7. Costco has a frozen tropical fruit blend that we like to add to our smoothies. I had never seen it on sale before. It has pineapple, papaya, mango and strawberries.

1 comment:

Maryann said...

You always have great ideas!